Wireless Mics Anyone? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 5th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #1
New Boot

Wireless Mics Anyone?

I need a wireless audio recording setup for a speech i am going to shoot next week. Any recommendations?
Alex Hawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Major Player

I have a Sennheiser G3 EW112PG3 that I'm quite happy with -- price/performance wise.

I also got an Azden 500UDR dual-channel UHF which is "okay" (dual-channels is handy for certain jobs).

-- peer
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Major Player

I recently rented a pair of Sennheiser G3s for a shoot - 2 actors with lavs. The only issues I encountered were clothing rustling (which was solved by changing lav placement) and if the 2 mics got too close to each other there was some weird interference between them. Other than that, worked fine.
Old May 5th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #4
New Boot

Thank you for your input. I am not sure how these g3 systems work however. Ive never used anything like this before. Correct me if i'm wrong but from what I gather I would plug my microphone into one unit and use the other unit with 5D's mic jack via audio cable. Is this how they work?

For this speech i would have my microphone on the speaker's podium.
Old May 5th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #5
Major Player

With all wireless systems you will have a transmitter and a receiver. The mic is connected to the transmitter and it sends the signal to the receiver which is fed to your camera or audio recording device.

I've got a G3 system and several G2s. Have always been impressed with the quality.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #6
New Boot

Sounds simple enough. Thanks for the info.
Old May 5th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #7
Major Player

I echo that. I have a couple of G2s I bought recently. Simple to use and sound great.

I was told a solution to the rustling effect when the mic is placed under clothes or next to scarves etc, is to wrap a small piece of moleskin round the mic top. Apparently it's smooth and soft enough to minimise the effect of the rustling although I haven't yet tried it myself.
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hawt View Post
plug my microphone into one unit and use the other unit with 5D's mic jack via audio cable.
With this setup you won't be able to monitor the sound. Use an external recorder, such as the Tascam DR-100 or Zoom H4N so that you can monitor while recording.
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Andersen View Post
With this setup you won't be able to monitor the sound. Use an external recorder, such as the Tascam DR-100 or Zoom H4N so that you can monitor while recording.
I believe this is beyond the scope of what Alex initially asked for -- to me it seems like he was only looking for a straight in wireless/lav setup, i.e., not a dual-sys that needs clap-trap sync, etc.

-- peer

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD