Philip Bloom's Interview with House's Greg Yaitanes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 19th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #1
Wrangler

Philip Bloom's Interview with House's Greg Yaitanes

Despite his laryngitis Philip Bloom's still talking DSLR filmmaking, this time with the Executive Producer and Director of the season finale of House, shot entirely on the 5D Mark II:

In depth interview with Executive Producer and Director of “House” Season Finale shot on Canon 5DmkII | Philip Bloom
Jenn Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Since the BBC will not accept 5DII video there will be no House season finale across the pond. Sorry UK guys.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #3
Trustee

My wife loves her some HOUSE - which means I watch it too. Very interested in this.

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Did he ask if they ran into any artifact issues and if so what they did to remedy the situation?
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Wrangler

Greg mentioned that they saw some banding in some scenes, but he wasn't sure what the final result was. They're organizing a twitter q/a session with the hash tag #5dfinale:

Twitter
Jenn Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Greg Yaitanes was excellent. It was great to hear such a pragmatic perspective on DSLR film-making. Although he is not the first person to make the comment that this technology is an absolute godsend for up and coming film makers, this is surely one of the most salient points about these cameras.

It was also really cool to hear him talking about the 5D not so much as an attempt to emulate film, but rather a unique aesthetic in its own right. It's interesting that he chose to really push that aesthetic into the space where other cameras can't go by shooting such crazy wide-open apertures. This is a genuinely creative and artistic approach to the medium. One of the things that any artist wants to know is "how far can I push my medium?" Yes focus at F 1.2 or 1.0 must be a real nightmare, but then it comes down to creativity and exceptional skill. I'm a bit of a romantic when it comes to this type of thing. I really like the idea of having to develop that sort of skill rather than having a device that will do it all for you.

Last edited by Ben Denham; April 20th, 2010 at 06:44 AM.
Ben Denham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #7
Major Player

Looks like the interview reached it's download limit on soundcloud - anyone got the file so I can throw it on my phone and listen to it on the go?
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
Since the BBC will not accept 5DII video there will be no House season finale across the pond. Sorry UK guys.
House isn't shown on the BBC but on the commercial stations Sky1 on satellite & Five on terrestrial. Judging by the poor quality of some other programmes on Sky1 they will have no problems at all with accepting 5DII video.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Ben is right. This interview points out that the idea that any new tool has to look just like film is a bit absurd. There are some things about film- like crapping out in low light (compared to the 1D, 5D, 7D, and the newest Nikon) and costs of shooting-- that make it impractical for many productions. I personally would never have been able to shoot a single production in this my avocation, if it was not for the digital film making revolution and the reduction in expense costs it brings. (Someone please tell my wife.)

Every day on this forum and many others, the dreamers are accosted by the nay sayers who won't accept that these cameras can be used successfully as a main camera. From resolution, moire and aliasing, it is said it can't be done. Rather that taking into account and planning for its limitations, that make one successful, these nay sayers scorn the thought of using such an "inferior" capture device.

Many of us have said over the last year and a half or more that these camera's were game changers. Pixel counters and number crunchers say no way. This episode of "House" will tell the tale. And without seeing it- because I know know how much a difference this camera has made in my less skilled hands- I am willing to bet the production will floor those who have said it can't be done. And that is because this production group is professional and willing to work within the camera's limitations, as they would with any other capture system, whether it be film or digital, to get their shots --and take advantage of the wonderful imagery this camera is capable of producing.

Even more interesting is that they shot this episode without heavy equipment, just as you and I would... using tripods available from the local camera store, creating a steadicam of sorts from a simple flag pole holder and monopod, (much like my old Steady Stick), and shooting inside relatively small spaces in the same way as we are required in most on locations shoots.
Old April 20th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I'm sorry. I just don't buy it. I live and work in HWood and know that these things are done for reasons far more reaching than the camera can fit in small places so that's why they used it. (or whatever else was implied)

That just doesn't make sense.

This town the camera is hot right now and like everything else in this town they used it to generate interest and publicity for the show. That is all. With all the documented moire and aliasing issues it would make no sense to risk a high budget projection if there were not other, bigger payoffs.
Old April 20th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Steve Kahn:

What camera do you run ?

Your commentary makes no sense... Here is the director of the show explaining his choice of the camera, and the benefits it provided, and you dismiss him.
Old April 20th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #12
Regular Crew

The dp I'm working with now uses a HDCAM. My old dp (an older guy) swears by his old 2/3" camera because of the great glass he has. I have shot my first short on dvx-100 and loved that camera. I have used hv30, hvx, ex1.

But that is not the issue. I, too, was looking forward the DSLR as the new pro go to format for indie work. Like the ex1 with the crazy dof lens adapter setups that were rammed down our throats a couple of years ago it is clearly not.

Perhaps the AG-AF100 will be. I hope.
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kahn View Post
I'm sorry. I just don't buy it. I live and work in HWood and know that these things are done for reasons far more reaching than the camera can fit in small places so that's why they used it. (or whatever else was implied)

That just doesn't make sense.

This town the camera is hot right now and like everything else in this town they used it to generate interest and publicity for the show. That is all. With all the documented moire and aliasing issues it would make no sense to risk a high budget projection if there were not other, bigger payoffs.
Your right it does not make sense as there are not enough people in the world who care what the show was shot with to make a tiny difference in the ratings of his show. I think he did it to prove that it could be done and to be the first to prove it on a MAJOR scale. It also cuts his production budget massively and as an Executive Producer that means more money in his pocket. It also opens doors for new tools to be developed and used in all sorts of productions. I think when it's all said and done and people like my wife who could care less if it was shot with an etch a sketch, as long as it looks good and is entertaining, don't notice one bit of difference in the feel of the show (or god knows actually like it better) say "WOW what a great season finally." That his point will be proven.

This is not meant as a flame/insult/ or instigation. Just my take on why he did it.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Panny and Sony both have announced large chip cameras that will be more film camera like in the next year. In the meantime, they way I looked at this camera when I bought the 5D a year a ago was that it was a very cheap course in use of large fromat imaging, and was surprised after I got it just how amazing an image you could get to the screen with it. I had no doubt back then that someone with a bit of oomph in the business was going to use it for just what happened.
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #15
Major Player

On a big production like House, cutting out the cost of working with film is a smaller percentage of the budget than most people think.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD