Does Image Stabilization work when shooting movies? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 14th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Does Image Stabilization work when shooting movies?

Can anyone tell me whether Image Stabilization is supposed to work when shooting movies with IS lenses? Or perhaps only with still pictures?

I can't seem to get any stabilization when in Movie mode. I'm using a Rebel 3ti with two IS lenses - the 17-55mm and the 55-250mm

Thanks,

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Does Image Stabilization work when shooting movies?

It certainly does work at taking out the handheld jitters but don't expect miracles. It's designed for helping still photographs which only need stability for a fraction of a second not like the IS on a camcorder. I also have a 600D(T3i) with the 17-55mm F/2.8 IS. You can clearly see the difference on the LCD screen when you turn the IS off & then back on that the image is more stable with IS on.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #3
Trustee

It does work, but it doesn't make handheld footage look magically amazing. The main difference I've noticed is it takes out tiny 'micro-jitters' - tiny movements caused by the poor ergonomics of the camera for video work (ie hands too close to the centre of gravity to remove shake).

I've only got one IS lens, the EF-S 17-85, as I'd much prefer to always use proper support for the camera such as a tripod or monopod. I only turn to IS as a last resort when other options are not possible.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #4
Major Player

Thank you both very much for the replies.

I can't see any IS effect at all - I've truly tested.

So yesterday I sent it back to Canon in their Irvine place to see the doctor.

Thanks again. You have confirmed my suspicion that something is wrong in the State Of Denmark. I see IS on the LCD, but not on the recorded image.

Best

Harry.
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #5
Major Player

Does your finger need to stay on the shutter button to keep it activated? I've read that the 70-200 II has a modern IS. I've use the 100mm with minimal support with a lot of success.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #6
Major Player

I just filmed a pre wedding video with just a t2i and a is lens (had to travel light)... with IS on I was able to get the handheld shots that I was looking for. With it off it would have been a different story.

I don't think your going to be able to fly around your subjects with IS on and expect anything professional looking.
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I've shot at 200mm with the 70-200 (first gen) and it's been pretty good at taking out the shakes for sure. It's not like putting on a Steadicam, but it definitely takes the footage from meh, to totally usable.

I wonder how the second gen fares though as it's got the newest Canon IS tech in it.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #8
Major Player

Thank you all for your advice.

I've sent the camera and lenses in to Canon's service place in Irvine CA. After what you guys have said, I am now certain that my I.S. is faulty since it has not the slightest effect under my test conditions - and I was not expecting much.

Thanks again,

Harry.
Old July 17th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Harry,

Maybe there is a dirty contact problem with your camera??? The body needs to supply power to the lense for the IS system to work - when it's turned on (obviously!) Might be worth cleaning them or getting Canon to look at it if that does not work but if it works in Still mode but not Movie mode I really don't know - seems very odd. I don't think this is a Menu setting "option". You'll know when IS is working as you can usually hear it when you move the camera.

I regularly use Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS and Canon 70-200mm F4 IS on my "naked" 7D hand-held (i.e. no rig) and get very nice, usable video footage, even on the long end of the telephoto. Sure, tripods etc. are better but that does not always meet my needs.

I also have the Canon 100mm F2.8 IS Macro and this has the latest IS system called Hybrid Image Stabilisation. I get excellent video from that, hand-held as well (but when using it in macro mode it's much better to use a tripod for reasons we all know well). Lovely glass...

Paul,

I've been unable to tell if the HIS is significantly better than the older IS (although the theory suggests it certainly should be). In the past I've done identical shot comparative tests with the 70-200mm set at 100mm and the 100mm Macro on my 7D. The results were inconclusive image stabilisation wise - but both seemed pretty good which is all that matters in the end! The Macro won on dreamy bokeh though. For sure, switching off IS (or HIS) on any of these lenses soon results in micro-jitters and totally unwatchable video.

Sure, as we've all mentioned many times before on the various DSLR forums you get the "grinding gear" and clicking noises from the image stabilisation when it's on which makes DSLR on-board audio capture (even more) poor - but if it's important you'll be doing double system sound anyway.
Old July 18th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Andy,
Thanks for the info. I somehow figured that despite it's huge advancements for stills that it wouldn't translate to video.

I bet that 100mm looked gorgeous!
Old July 18th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #11
Major Player

Thanks for all the details, Andy.

I sent it all over to Canon near LA.

Best

Harry
Old July 20th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Yes, I wish more lenses had it. All this excitement over primes and none except the EF 100 Macro has it. Canon needs to turn the EF 24-70 f2.8 into an IS lens. I have the EF 24-105 f4 IS for that reason alone.

IS is one of the best inventions for video shooting. My use of it goes back to Sony's TR-101 Hi8 camera. I got shots with that camera I could not get with my Betacam.

Now with HDSLR's it is essential to have IS lenses because of the CMOS rolling shutter. I have had to edit a few videos where rolling shutter ruined shots I needed because the camera was handheld. This would not have been a problem with IS. I turn the IS on and it goes away.

I usually use my Canon 60D with out a rig for handheld. All of my reports from NAB for FrugalFilmmakers.com Filmmaking & Photography were done with the 24-105 with IS turned on. I also handhold my EF 70-200 f4 IS as well.

Also when using the 640x480 crop mode in the 60D IS is a great help because the image is so magnified. This was shot on a heavy DV6 Satchler tripod.
‪60D Crop Mode Deer Footage‬‏ - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/embed/yKljnKA9iSQ

Here I am with my handheld rig. The camera is mounted on a CamCaddie which I brace against my body. I also have a Hoodman Loupe on my flipout LCD on my 60D.
Attached Thumbnails
Does Image Stabilization work when shooting movies?-hoodman-photo3.jpg  

Last edited by Alan Halfhill; July 20th, 2011 at 01:02 AM.
Alan Halfhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Alan, did your experience with the IS eliminating the rolling shutter effect happen to include any negating of the effect you get when a flash is blasting away at what you're shooting?

I need to go back and look at some of My 70-200 shot footage and see if it did cancel that out. If that were the case I'm immediately going to start saving up for the 17-55mm Ef-s IS.
Old July 21st, 2011, 12:00 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Digges View Post
Alan, did your experience with the IS eliminating the rolling shutter effect happen to include any negating of the effect you get when a flash is blasting away at what you're shooting?

I need to go back and look at some of My 70-200 shot footage and see if it did cancel that out. If that were the case I'm immediately going to start saving up for the 17-55mm Ef-s IS.
No. IS has nothing to do with that. That type of rolling shutter is caused by the electronics in the camera. IS only helps with the camera shaking.
Old July 21st, 2011, 12:20 AM   #15
Major Player

It most certainly works on my Canon XLH1 camcorder with Canon "35mm" glass, specifically the newish 70-300L.

Doubt I'd use this lot hand held (7.2x crop) but excellent on a tripod,mainly static shots. The "experts" say don't use on a 'pod but I do, specifically in windy conditions. The lens has two IS settings and I use the higher one.

The standard 20x zoom with its IS can be used hand held, and is v good but v tiring after a while, but not relevant to this post I guess,

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD