Handheld support, follow focus, and matte box... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 8th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Handheld support, follow focus, and matte box...

My rig list is almost complete. Can't wait to finally order everything and get that 7D in my hands!

I've been researching different handheld support systems, looking for an affordable yet comfortable/functional kit. I was leaning towards the IndiRAILSpro stuff, but read some bad reviews on other sites. Then I heard about the "Korean" kit you can get on eBay, and most pros seem to like that one (mostly its versatile design...not so much the comfort of the shoulder mount):

dslr rig DSL-17 - eBay (item 250575030480 end time Feb-14-10 07:40:01 PST)

Then I found the guys in India selling the PROAIM line of follow focus, matte box, and other stuff. And I've read a lot of good reviews on this site from satisfied PROAIM customers (especially with the matte box).

I am now thinking of getting this kit (matte box, ff, and rails):

PROAIM Follow Focus Mattebox kit fr DSLR 5D Mark II d90 - eBay (item 350313101908 end time Feb-11-10 02:17:08 PST)

But I'll still need something to mount it all on for good handheld action. Price is an issue. I can't afford RedRock or Zacuto (unfortunately...those kits look quality). Any suggestions? If there is a good FF and/or mattebox from another vendor that can compete with PROAIM's price, I'd be more than happy to check those out too. Just when I think I've settled on one thing, something else rears its head and complicates the heck out of this whole process...
Michael Winget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Major Player

I had bad experiences with the Korean company I bought from. The user you have listed has more than 1 account: eBay My World - gini.1980 is the other account I found with a simple search. I'm not an expert ebayer but I would imagine the newer account is to avoid the negative feedback from previous buyers. This is only a guess.

My issues were that the product never functioned properly. They wanted me to 'tweak' the unit with help via email. When that didn't work, they stopped responding to me. Eventually, a friend in Korean made contact with them. They sent new parts and I fixed my unit but was so unhappy with the whole experience that I sold it and invested in a better rig where I knew I'd get customer support worth the money (Cinevate DSLR rig). It's nice have a light rig that's easy to use and comfortable.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #3
Major Player

I use redrock gear and have nothing but good experiences with it and the company. It may "seem" pricey, but if you put it up against Cinevate, Arri, and Zacuto it's more than fairly priced especially for the build quality you get. I have read a lot of horror stories about ordering stuff from India (proaim) coming incomplete or the parts don't fit together right (bad machining) and the same with the Korean stuff. When you support companies like redrock, cinevate, and zacuto they can R&D to design better products and keep pushing the envelope instead of stealing other designs like proaim and the korean guy do and plateau.

I just read that redrock just made new hand grips and new screws that eliminate the slipping that was present in the previous version of the grips. I just ordered a pair and I will let everyone know how they work out.

My most recent experience with the redrock gear: We just wrapped a music video shoot this weekend using the 5D Mark II, redrock follow focus v2, whips, and mattebox rig... it performed without a hitch all day long! Adjusting the follow focus and mattebox for all the different lens changes needed to be fast and I don't think I could have been that fast if I didn't have the right tools for the job. At one point we were shooting with a porta jib and we could not see or reach the camera so we used a hand grip on the back side of the rails to move the camera around, that gave us a lot more flexibility. We were bumping into peoples heads (not on purpose mind you!) with the side flags on the mattebox and they never once fell off. I do recommend tightening down the side flags a little more than finger tight. The 3D marking disc on the follow focus saved me a lot of trouble through out the day, especially in those tight spaces.

Back on track here... I'm not sure what kind of stuff you will be shooting, but that should determine the kind of equipment you buy.

If price is an issue, then you should save your pennies a little longer and get something that won't fall apart. Your hardware will outlast your camera and you want something that will be modular that you can use with future products and cameras. You get what you pay for with the low low end stuff.

Good luck in whatever you decide! If you have any questions about anything, I'm sure any of us on here will do our best to help answer them. Congrats on getting a 7D!
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. With all the positive stuff I read about the foreign builders, I was starting to wonder if it was too good to be true. And you're absolutely right: quality should come first.

I love what I've seen from RedRock and Cinevate, and especially love the great customer service that Cinevate offers.

I shoot a lot of handheld stuff, so I figure I need a reliable rig. I am all for saving my pennies until I can afford a good setup. In the meantime, I need to figure out an effective way to shoot HH (i.e. weddings, documentary, etc. which is what I mostly do right now). I do plan on shooting more cinematic stuff on it as well...I'm a director and editor first, but see the value in building my chops as a DP/camera operator.

Jason: What rig did you end up going with?

Cody: Do you have HH support from RedRock, or just the rails system for tripod/jib?

Have either of you used the DFocus?

Know of any affordable matte boxes that will give me 4x4 filter capability and optional french flags?
Old February 8th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Major Player

The Captain Stubling that redrock makes is pretty versatile and can be configured to emulate theEvent or the Ultraport with a couple additional parts. If you are doing any kind of hand held with a DSLR, use lenses with IS!
Old February 8th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #6
Major Player

I bought the Digital SLR Shoot Rig (The one withOUT the new UNO grips). My rig also has a front link for more support. I also added the cage to it in order to protect my rig and add/mount accessories. The reason for protecting the rig: I shoot stills with a Nikon D700. Long story short, it fell about 1 meter to the floor and survived no problem, except that the hot shoe was bent inwards on the left side. To replace that small piece meant giving my camera to Nikon and having them actually replace more of the electronics that it is attached to, which cost me about 150USD. A cage around your rig is a good insurance policy IMO.

If you are looking for stabilization short-term, why not get a monopod.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #7
Major Player

Pro Aim matte box , rail, FF

I would suggest we should all give opinions based on first hand experience. As I am not entitle to any constructive suggestion about the Red Rock, Arri Etc. products (because I have none of them), I did purchase the Pro Aim matte box with rail system and FF. And I would say that for what I paid I was impressed with the build quality and how smooth the FF is (mine was NOT an "horror story"). I had to do some minor adjustments to the matte box system only because I wanted to use it with the EX-1 as well (the kit I got was specifically designed for the 5D/7D). I only had an issue with the filter holders being a little too thin for my Formatt 4x4 filter. I contacted them via email and they are sending me a new revised set for free. They have an active customer support and they are willing to work with me. At the price point they are, I would give them a chance. I am indeed going to purchase another rail system from them.

Hope this helps.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Carlo Zanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I wonder if that isn't the DFocus, which sells for about that much. I've heard good things about that one. And I can mount it to the RRMicro, Cinevate, etc. no problem.

A thought...Canon just announced the new 550D X2i for $800. I could always go that route instead of the 7D (seeing how my camera will be used for video work about 85% of the time), and then put that extra $$ towards a solid rig like the RRMicro. An extra $800 can go a very long way.

I acknowledge that everybody has different opinions about everything, and that's why I love this site. A lot of different views, experiences, etc. allow me an opportunity to find the voice that I most relate to based on what I need and what I plan to use my gear for. Thank you ALL for your input.
Old February 10th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #9
Major Player

If you can wait until the t2i comes out that would be a good idea.
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I am so tempted by that 550D...

A few hesitations, however... People keep referring to it as the perfect "B-Camera" or a great "Student camera." What I'm looking for is my A-cam. I am all for affordable gear; I love that technology has a way of getting cheaper as time goes by. But what I don't want to do is take the less-expensive route, only to find that the T2i's video isn't as robust and functional and beautiful as the 7D's. I know the 7D outperforms when it comes to stills, and I'm aware of the better build, weatherproofing, dual processing, etc. And, as many have already stated, the composition and camera work and storytelling is foremost, and as long as you do well with that, it almost doesn't matter what your camera is.

If the 550D can give me the video quality I need to satisfy my clients and my own artistic needs, that's good enough for me. Can't wait until somebody can get their hands on one and really check it against the other options out there.

Your opinions? If you were in my boat, what would you do? I can afford the 7D, but the $$ I'd save would be well-used towards some long-lasting peripherals, like a lens or support system.
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #11
Major Player

7D versus T2I

I have the 7D and absolutely LOVE IT. If I were you, I would wait on some reliable reviews on the T2i and then make and informed purchased. The only thing that is not clear to me is the codec used by the T2i (Canon states is MOV h.264 - but not bit rate mentioned). If you cannot wait, than it's completely up to you, of course. Also, is the double Digic4 processor only affecting the still part of this camera (burst mode etc) or is it affecting at some point the video part as well?? I don't think we can have a clear answer by reading the specifications section on the Canon Web site.

Good luck with you future purchase.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:03 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Zanella View Post
I would suggest we should all give opinions based on first hand experience. As I am not entitle to any constructive suggestion about the Red Rock, Arri Etc. products (because I have none of them), I did purchase the Pro Aim matte box with rail system and FF. And I would say that for what I paid I was impressed with the build quality and how smooth the FF is (mine was NOT an "horror story"). I had to do some minor adjustments to the matte box system only because I wanted to use it with the EX-1 as well (the kit I got was specifically designed for the 5D/7D). I only had an issue with the filter holders being a little too thin for my Formatt 4x4 filter. I contacted them via email and they are sending me a new revised set for free. They have an active customer support and they are willing to work with me. At the price point they are, I would give them a chance. I am indeed going to purchase another rail system from them.

Hope this helps.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Does Proaim have their own website or did you contact them through eBay?
Pasha Hanover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #13
Major Player

Pro Aim link

You can find them on Ebay: try this link

Matte Box Sunshade Universal Rod support for 5D markII - eBay (item 350314967789 end time Feb-15-10 20:20:02 PST)

The system fits the 7D very well. The construction materials are adeguate. The matte box comes with a lot of stuff, including french flag and side flaps. Base plate with rails is VERY adjustable. In my opinion it's a good value. I'd rather save some $$ on a system like this, and buy better glass for the camera.

Hope this helps.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Third episode is out today, watch it and enjoy!
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Thank you!
Pasha Hanover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
If I were you, I would wait on some reliable reviews on the T2i and then make and informed purchased...
That's the plan. I had a real good talk with the wife last night. She's got a knack for putting things into perspective for me. :) I figure a few weeks' wait is definitely worth it if it means I can get some reliable reviews and feedback from users of the T2i. If I like the sound of things, then bring on the $800 camera! If not, then I will be more than confident in my reasons behind buying the 7D instead.

I'm just impatient...

Quote:
Also, is the double Digic4 processor only affecting the still part of this camera (burst mode etc) or is it affecting at some point the video part as well??
I had the same question too. Also interesting is that it uses a different kind of media (not CF cards). It supports a format (SDXC) that I don't think is even on the market yet, but that boasts storage sizes up to 2TB. It uses SDHC cards as well, which range in price from $25 - $140, depending on the brand and the rating/speed. Wonder how those will handle the video buffering...
Michael Winget is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD