7D vs HMC150 w/Letus Elite - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 6th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #16
Major Player

Monopod:
bogen 560b

Velbon Head:
PH368 Velbon PH-368 Vel-Flo 9 Mini-Pro, 2-Way Panhead with Quick Release, Supports 10 lbs.

Velbon | PH-368 2-Way Panhead | PH-368 | B&H Photo Video
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Benoit View Post
what do you think was a better choice of combo...

main camera = sony ex1r
backup alt = panasonic hmc150

or

main camera = sony ex1r
backup alt = canon 7d
both would be great but for totally different reasons.
If you want to use your EX1 for more of a lockdown, get the 7D for closeups and cool shots.

If you want the backup to be the lockdown, get the 150. 32gig card records 200 minutes and the lens is very wide. Use the EX1r for closeups.

I'll be using the 150 for lockdown and audio and the T2i for closeups and DOF.
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #18
Major Player

sweet! i was looking at the sony nx5u but the image is too soft, the ex1r has a beautiful image...i believe thats be cause its a 3x 1/2 cmos @ 2.2mp per cmos....6.6 total...

plus the 7d shoots video quality as good or better than almost all camcorders under 15k...its very comparable to the red one and the sensors are almost the same size, and the red one is 12.1mp and the 7d is 19mp, so with some proper post grading, and picture presets, the 7d is a beast...

and i am getting bitrates in the 45-55 mbps range....thats amazing....
Corey Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Shealy View Post
I've found the Bogen 560b-1 monopod with fluid foot ($130) combined with a Velbon PH-368 head ($35) a great combination. Just lock the pan knob on the head so the Bogen's fluid foot does the pans and use the Velbon's tilt. You can also tilt the monopod in conjunction with the tilt on the head to get some minor "crane" type movements when shooting closeups. Small enough to strap to a backpack and weights about 4 pounds.

Surprisingly good kit for such a small investment.
If you want to be really quick and dirty, you can use a monopod with no head, I did that today and the footage is stable.

My monopod has easily adjust sections. I think this is critical as a feature. I believe Bogen makes a trigger adjusted tripod, seems like that'd be nice.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 05:06 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
If you want to use your EX1 for more of a lockdown, get the 7D for closeups and cool shots.
For interviews, I use the 7D for wide and the EX1 for close, that way I take advantage of the large sensor on the 7D.
Old March 7th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #21
Trustee

The reason I suggested it that way was the 12 minute limit on recording. I'd hate to be in the middle of something great and have the camera shut off!
All my interviews must be with really long-winded people! HaHa!
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
For interviews, I use the 7D for wide and the EX1 for close, that way I take advantage of the large sensor on the 7D.
Can you elaborate?? Isn't the conventional wisdom to use the sharper camera for the wide shot?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Hey Doug,
That night shot on the street with the 7D looks awesome! What did you do to eliminate the lens flare from the cars driving toward you?
Thanks,
Zach
Zachary Mattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Zach,

I did nothing. No filter, no post, nothing. Stock Nikon lens, shooting pretty flat with (Sat & Contrast down), f-stop and ISO as noted.
If you take a look at the second street light, you can see some flare, but you are right about the cars, there doesn't seem to be any flare.

Take Care,
Doug
Doug Marcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Benoit View Post
plus the 7d shoots video quality as good or better than almost all camcorders under 15k...its very comparable to the red one and the sensors are almost the same size, and the red one is 12.1mp and the 7d is 19mp, so with some proper post grading, and picture presets, the 7d is a beast...
Corey,

I would be careful about putting these still camera with a video option on the same plane as $15,000 video cameras. There are some limitations with these DSLRs that make them less than desireable compared to video cameras.

I have done some testing with the 5D and the 7D shooting the same scene and I was not as impressed with the color and overall image of the 7d compared to the 5D.

Also, RED is not a still camera, it is a video camera that can capture a still. Stating the MP number of the sensor might not be a good comparison for video as the entire sensor is not used for video (at least in the Canon, I do not know about the RED).

When I compared the 5D, 7D scene to the EX-1, the EX-1 had a much better and true color representation. I was able to bring the 5D up to match the EX-1 through color correction but I think it is worth pointing out.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #26
Major Player

well said i agree, the ex1 is the most beautifully made camera for under 10k, at least thats what i think, or maybe ex3...

what do you think?

also what grading or plugins plus settings can i use for premiere cs4 to grade to what you did on my 7d footage?
Corey Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #27
Inner Circle

I don't know what to use in Premiere as I use Edius, but I was just using the normal color correction tools.

There is a visual difference in the representation of colors on my broadcast monitor. Some colors are a bit under-represented and the moire is a real issue.

The EX series is tough to contend with although the Panasonic's have great color as well, both of which look better from a color perspective than the 5D/7D to me.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD