Jobs with the 7D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 4th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Jobs with the 7D

Interested to know how many of you who own a 7D are making money from it? Are you freelancing with it? Is it now the main camera for your company?

I've seen a few more people asking for camera operators who own or use the 7D recently.

How do you promote your services with it? The fact so many people can afford these cameras is it going to put freelance operators out of work or will it be the cinematographer they hire instead?
Craig Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I only do stock video and I use a 7D and have a HV30, I do very well at this and have decided this is my niche, I'm also looking to get a pro camcorder as well.

The learning curve for the 7D and other DSLR's for video is very steep and that in itself will keep a lot of people from entering the field. The h.264 codec throws a lot of still photographers off, because it doesn't play smoothly on the average computer.

Composition and creative though are not things that come to all people, for the very creative filmmakers here the 7D is purely a tool and the client pays for competence and creativity.

Then there are weddings, which with a HD-DSLR is a whole different set of skills, that the average DSLR owner does not have, i.e. managing shallow depth of field and movement.
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'll be shooting weddings with mine. I've been shooting a lot of live events with my Sony V1u's (concerts, pageants, recitals, storytelling performances, etc.) but because of the lengthiness of those kinds of performances, I don't see the 7D as the right tool for that line of shoot. I've also done a lot of video for the web for different companies, and I see me using the 7D for similar work.

I am very interested in the stock footage market, especially with the caliber of footage I can get with an HDSLR setup. I am real excited to see how I can marry my photography skills with my years of video work experience to make the 7D do what I need it to do.
Michael Winget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I do a lot of corporate, promotional, regional/national commercials and documentary video.

Since I bought my 7D in January this year I'm using it as my principal camera.
Sometimes I use my XHA1 as a second camera but not as often anymore.

I'm selling my service with this camera as a Digital Cinema Camera. I use the cinevate DSLR rig, Durus Follow Focus and Titan Matte Box.

Clients are very excited and happy with the results.
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Hernandez-Stumpfhauser View Post
I'm selling my service with this camera as a Digital Cinema Camera.
I like that alot.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Major Player

yep, commercials...no self promotion. Looking for pro bono music vids though!
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:39 AM   #7
Major Player

I sold my video camera a couple of weeks ago (ok it was a pretty ancient Canon XM2/GL2!) and for now the 7D is all i have and need, if i get a job that requires something else i will rent it for the time being.

if/when theres a new (DSLR) camera that addresses issues of moire/rolling shutter/recording lengths i will look at buying that and having the 7D as a 2nd backup camera..

I don't have any plans to leave the DSLR path or any desire to own a video camera for now but i guess you never know whats around the corner.
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:39 AM   #8
Contributor

My day job is corporate sales, training, motivational video for mostly large companies, and I've been using the 7D since late September when I got it. I also do some personal documentary work and trailers and promos for a film festival, and the 7D is being used for that as well. The XH A1 hasn't been out of its bag since September, except to pull the mic off...kinda sad...I liked that camera and it replaced a $25K 2/3" chip package in 2007. I thought I'd use it for 5 years and probably would have had the revolution not happened.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Bill are you using a portable set of lights for your corporate work, or can you get away with available light?
Old March 5th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Contributor

I have three 500LED lights from flolight.com and an 8-lamp (85 watts each) fluorescent softlight box. Those are adequate for most interview situations. I also have some Lowel DP and Omni lights, and rent HMIs when necessary for bigger jobs.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #11
Regular Crew

since i got the camera i work with it non stop
i rent it to music video's and on my last two commercials we go with my 7d instead of red one
so in 3 month i got this cam i cover 80% of all expenses include lens and extra gear:)
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Me and my friend just started a small rental place which is why I bought a 7D just to rent out, which is great to rent out to students on a small budget. When I come into projects that don't have the budget to shoot RED, then I usually shoot with the 7D.
Dp Reel http://www.visualcinema.com/reels/ Rentals in NYC http://www.visualcinema.com/rentals/cameras/ Scarlet-X SN#634 "HEXTALL"
Jonanthan Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 03:15 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Cheers guys, very good information, want this kind of stuff to tell the students incase they want to buy one.
Craig Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 05:56 AM   #14
Major Player

The camera is often the least important factor in winning a job. Usually, it is a combination of treatment/script, track record, show reel etc...

No one asked Will Shakespeare what brand of quiver he preferred...
Old March 8th, 2010, 06:52 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I'm sure he said goose quills!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD