Jobs with the 7D - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 8th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #16
Major Player

Oops, I meant quill! It's a while since I've used one:)
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Pogson View Post
Bill are you using a portable set of lights for your corporate work, or can you get away with available light?
Norman, sorry to single this reply out, but I would like to comment on this topic.

Lighting is an asthetic choice which improves the look, helps focus the viewers attention, and can help tell your story.

Just because a camera can operate in a low lit area does not mean your results will be favorable.

Mere illumination does not make a good scene, especially if there are people on camera.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Tim, I'm fully aware of lighting a scene, I'm a stock photographer and have an extensive collection of strobes and modifiers, on the video side I have fluorescent softboxes and I always try to have a limited dynamic range, with even lighting as my images are used for advertising etc.

I was curious as to what people use when being paid to produce corporate videos on location.
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #19
Major Player

Lots of location shooting, sans lights - blocking becomes of utmost importance!!

If we do use lights, LED fixtures are becoming a weapon of choice; lightweight (stand too), cool to the touch, battery powered, soft or hard light!
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Norman, I hope the post did not offend. Sorry if it did.

The phrase "get away with available light" sounded like a view of these VDSLRs that because they can gather a lot of light especially with prime lenses one can get away from the need to use lighting anymore.

I notice this approach a lot in still photography as well with improved high ISO performance.

Since the thread was about using the camera in a professional video situation I spoke up because I would never want to do any job professionaly without lighting where possible, outside of which camera was being used.

In my view, these cameras do not change anything but the DOF that is possible.

Once again, sorry for the interjection.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #21
Major Player

I've had the 7D since October. It has not replaced my EX-1 as the primary camera in my work, but I am using it more and more. I doubt I will ever use it more than my EX, due to the convenience of a huge lens range, better audio and monitoring. I do love the look of the 7D under many circumstances but find it's not always the right choice.

I've started collaborating with a lot of photographers doing cross-media stock collections and I've use the 7D (or 5D) for those, and it's also great for more planned, scripted projects, but for a lot of the corporate jobs I do, the EX makes a lot more sense.

In terms of lighting, I don't find that I am lighting any differently with the 7D. Occasionally I can get away with less, or sometimes in the case of an interview where the bg is more out of focus, it's slightly less work to set and light the bg.

These are great cams though, and it's a welcome addition to my kit.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD