If you could only use 3 lenses.... - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 10th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #91
Major Player

I like the Tamaron 17-50mm but does it need to be VC for it to work with the T2i?

And since I already have a Nikon to Canon mount, can I use the Nikon mounted ones?
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #92
Regular Crew

You can buy a Nikon to EF adapter from e bay, I bought mine through Kawaphoto, eBay My World - kawaphoto
Man Yip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #93
Major Player

The tokina 11-16mm 2.8 after checking the uk price i see its about the same price as the 550D body, can it realy be worth the the same..
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #94
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Yip View Post
You can buy a Nikon to EF adapter from e bay, I bought mine through Kawaphoto, eBay My World - kawaphoto
Thanks! Thats exactly where I got my Nikon to Canon EOS adapter. I currently am using a 28mm f1.8 Nikkor lens. However I want to use the Tamaron 17-50mm but am wondering if since I have the Nikon to Canon mount, I could use the Nikon mounted version instead of the Canon. Reason being because I can find the Nikon versions substantially cheaper..
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #95
Regular Crew

Terry, I've a Tammy 17-50mm, but it is a EF mount.

My suggestion is that if your main camera is a nikon and "ONLY" use the T2i for filming, sure.

But if your main camera is T2i, and want to save a little money by using the nikon mount, it doesn't seems logical to me. As you will lose the AF function for still image on the T2i.

Another suggestion, buy a used one on Ebay, I bought a 90mm on Ebay before and it works perfectly.
Man Yip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #96
Major Player

The T2i is my main filming camera as of now and hardly used for photography so as you suggested the Tamron would work for this application. I just wanted to make sure that the choice of Nikon mount instead of Canon mount would work for film..but you do bring up a good point about the AF which might be a good thing to have if I wanted to do some photography...which is likely.

Thanks for your time!
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #97
Major Player

I gotta add another vote for the 17-55 2.8 IS and the 70-200 2.8 IS mkII. Last 3 music videos and the zombie flick i keep spamming were done mostly on those two lenses.

For lens #3? i'm undecided. Probably a 50mm 1.4. 1.8 is probably bright enough, but the focus ring sucks.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #98
Major Player

I think the 24-70 F2.8L is a must-have lens, it is a little expensive but the quality of the glass and the image that it produce worth every single penny.

I know it does not have IS, but it really doesn't need it if you use it on a monopod or a tripod which you have to do anyway when you're shooting video with DSLR.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #99
Major Player

Hey Andrew, LOVED the interactive zombie film..

However I wasn't feeling the bokeh for either of those lenses...I thought it looked a bit smeary..
Old August 21st, 2010, 06:19 PM   #100
Regular Crew

i was just wondering... as i have a canon 50mm 1.4... how does the tamron 17-50 2.8 compare to it in low light? if i just set the canon to 2.8 i'll get a precise idea?

i'm going to shoot a feature film with lots of night street scenes, available light... i would hate to get them with only one focal length!

i'm going to get the tamron anyway, but i'm thinking if i should or shouldn't add a sigma 30mm 1.4 for the night street scenes...
Old August 22nd, 2010, 05:30 AM   #101
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Gomez Villafane View Post
i was just wondering... as i have a canon 50mm 1.4... how does the tamron 17-50 2.8 compare to it in low light?
With both at maximum aperture, in theory the Tamron lets in one quarter the light of the Canon. Two stops is a lot.

Quote:
if i just set the canon to 2.8 i'll get a precise idea?
Not really. A rough idea exposure wise at best.

Quote:

i'm going to shoot a feature film with lots of night street scenes, available light... i would hate to get them with only one focal length!
It's always hard to get a clean image at night with only available light, even with a f/1.4 lens. You need all the light you can get for best results

Quote:
i'm going to get the tamron anyway, but i'm thinking if i should or shouldn't add a sigma 30mm 1.4 for the night street scenes...
Depends how important the results. If you don't mind higher ISO's you might get by with a f/2.8 zoom.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 04:24 PM   #102
Major Player

The problem your going to have shooting at 1.4 is that very little of your frame will actually be in focus. 1.4 with a 50mm lens will give you a sliver dof that is pretty much unusable except for cool little detail shots. I've noticed tons of people trying to shoot this way and having an overly out of focus image just isn't appealing. To be honest it looks pretty amateurish to me.

BTW to all... don't know if anyone noticed that sigma released a 17-50mm with image stabilation (OS) a couple months ago. I prefer sigm to tamron for build quality so I would give that one a look if you're in the market. Unfortunately it doesn't have full time manual which the expensive canon does.
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 05:05 PM   #103
Major Player

You're right Scott. There is a lot of stuff out there that demonstrates the fashion for out of focus DLSR shots.

Your point about shooting at f/1.4 is correct, but let's look at the numbers. Taking a 50mm lens, a subject at 10 feet from the lens at f/1.4 has a depth of field of 0.69 feet. Stepping up to f/2.8, you have 1.29 feet, roughly double.

Both depths of fields are difficult to manage without looking, as you say, amateurish. However, working with half the depth of field yields quadruple the light, which looks like a good trade off. At least you have the option of splitting the difference and shooting at f/2.

The point being, you can never have too fast glass, especially for the stated goal of shooting at night using available light. Also worth bearing in mind that typically, lenses start to become sharper when stopped down a couple of clicks. In other words, if you do decide to shoot at f/2.8, the f/1.4 lens will typically be sharper than the native f/2.8 lens.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:56 PM   #104
Regular Crew

Interesting insights... the thing with high iso is that it gets very color noisy! Not nice...

Found a review on the Sigma, not favored when compared to the Tamron!

Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Lens Review
Old August 22nd, 2010, 09:08 PM   #105
Major Player

That's interesting... I wonder if the reviewer got a crap copy of the sigma... It seems I've rarely read a review where a tamron has siginifigantly outperformed a sigma... good info though...
Scott Shama is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD