If you could only use 3 lenses.... - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 17th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #76
Inner Circle

The main advantage of Zeiss lenses is the long-travel, smooth focus ring with hard stops.

At NAB, I believe it was Shane Hurlbut who said that when he started shooting video with the 5D2, he was just figuring it out with cheap lenses, and that before long, he learned the importance of using good glass.
Old April 17th, 2010, 10:17 PM   #77
Major Player

Hi Sam,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kanter View Post
Yes - has anyone done any tests to see if "L" or Zeiss - quality glass really makes a difference when shooting video? I can see using fast lenses in low light, but not sure if really fine glass is needed.
When I was shopping for lenses the tipping point for me was seeing the comparisons between an inexpensive and expensive lens. Near the bottom of the linked review of the 17-55 f/2.8 Canon is a rollover image comparison with the 18-55 kit lens that comes with the T2i. The difference in clarity and amount of chromatic aberration is noticeable.

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens Review

If you know what to look for you'd see that in a video file, but in this business your success is based on what you do with your gear rather than what gear you do it with...
Old April 18th, 2010, 05:55 AM   #78
Major Player

Sigma prime?

Anyone had experience with Sigma 50mm 1.4 ?
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #79
Tourist

point me in the right direction

i have a t2i and right now i have the canon 50mm 1.4 and am very happy with it, and now im trying to decide on my next lens. im looking for a zoom lens with IS thats not going to break the bank, heres what im looking at.
Newegg.com - TAMRON AF18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di-II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Lens for Canon

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582444-USA/Canon_2752B002_EF_S_18_200mm_f_3_5_5_6_IS.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/397663-GREY/Canon_0345B002_EF_70_300mm_f_4_5_6_IS.html
and i am considering a Tamron 17-50 VC as my 3rd lens

so basically the next lens ill buy will cover the top end of my focal range. are those good lenses to consider buying? does anyone have experience with any of them? will these work well with the 1.6 aps-c sensor? im also open to suggestions in that price range. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ben Totman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:18 AM   #80
Regular Crew

I agree with many others that the Tokina 11-16mm, the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, and the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L would be definitely the ones to get if you can afford them.

If not, don't buy cheap zoom lenses, go for some good primes instead. They are even faster and cheaper.

Check out my blog on basic lenses for the T2i/550D - people keep telling me it's quite helpful. I've used most of the lenses before.

On a budget? Pimp your new Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D with essential accessories! Part 1: BASIC LENSES | Nino Film - Blog - Nino Leitner
Nino Leitner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:56 AM   #81
Trustee

Here's what's in my arsenal-
1- Canon 17-55 f2.8 is
2- Tokina 11-16 f 2.8
3- Canon 50mm f 1.4
4- Canon 70-200 f2.8 is.

I also have a bunch of older Nikon primes with my Letus, and bought a couple of Nikon to Canon adapters. My favorite Nikon prime is the 105mm f2.8...beautifull lens. I also picked up a Tokina ( Nikon mount) 28-70 f2.8, manual and auto, for my letus. I've used it a few times on my 7d when I needed a little more zoom than the 17-55.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #82
Tourist

image stabilization

great to see everyones opinions on lenses.

regarding image stabilization (IS, VC) how important/critical is this when shooting mostly video with tripod, jib and shoulder rig?

I'm trying to justify the added expense in stabilization lenes.

Thanks.
Thad Parnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #83
Major Player

It uses up batteries, so on tripod I turn it off because it makes no difference.

Panning might look different with it on, depending on the lens. Some lenses have panning detection, some lenses have different IS modes to allow for it.

In general, for film making if there were 2 lenses the same price and one had IS while one had even slightly better glass, I would go for the better glass.

For hand holding IS really does help though.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #84
Tourist

James,

What are your thoughts on the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 with or without stabilization?... the difference is 200 us dollars?

or in other words the lenses would be the same brand, length and f-stop with the only difference being the stabilization.

Thanks
Thad Parnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #85
Major Player

I've been shooting for a while, trying out different lenses. Here's what I've decided (most of what I shoot is interviews and doc style material).

The lens that is on my camera 80% of the time (when not shooting interviews) is the Canon 24-70 2.8. It's a great lens and works well to be able to shoot somewhat wide but be able to have a zoom at the ready.

Next is the Canon 70-200 2.8. This is my go to for interviews. Creates a beautifully shallow image. If the interviewee isn't moving too much and the camera can remain stationary, this is a great lens for interviews. If I need to move the camera during the interview or if the person keeps moving in and out of focus I'll go back to the 24-70.

Finally the Canon 50mm 1.8. Great lens for lower light, or when you don't need a zoom (planned shots). I think it's about the best bang for the buck that I've found.

So right now those are the three that I have with me at all times.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #86
Regular Crew

Maybe this is crazy, but I've started shooting my TV show (two guys just talking about a movie they just saw) with the Canon 50mm 1.8.

It is great with no light outside a movie theater at night. And anyone around us are just a blur.

But my favorite lens right now is the Lensbaby 2.0. I just haven't figured out where I'm going to use it for my work. It was cheap on Amazon, so, I bought it last month.

I speculate that you could shoot handheld with it for several minutes and maintain follow focus pretty well within the sweet spot. I did this walking around the yard following my daughter and the video was very cool.

Anyone using the Lensbaby for video?
Jonathan W. Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #87
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad Parnell View Post
James,

What are your thoughts on the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 with or without stabilization?... the difference is 200 us dollars?

or in other words the lenses would be the same brand, length and f-stop with the only difference being the stabilization.

Thanks
If you just look at the numbers then the VC looks like the only difference, however the general view is that the non-VC variant is sharper and generally a better performer.

The thing about stabilisation is that it becomes more necessary the greater the focal length of the lens, so on a wide to normal lens, it's not a must-have feature in my opinion.

Personally I would take the non VC and spend the money on another lens to fill a gap in your range, but that's just me.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 09:16 AM   #88
Regular Crew

4 lenses already!

I have recently purchased a Sigma 150mm maco at HK$4,500 (US$577). It is not just a maco lens for shooting little insects. It produces very sharp image and very good colour. It could be used to shoot portraits and performances. It is used to create a blurred background when I do not want to use the Canon 55-250mm

Tamron 17-50 VC
Canon 55-250mm IS
Canon 24mm f2.8 &
Sigma 150mm maco
Kenneth Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:57 AM   #89
Regular Crew

Easy for me to chose 3, would want 2 others eventually though.

Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
Canon 50mm f1.2
Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS mkii

I'm sure I could do almost everything I want with this set, well other than serious macro work.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #90
Regular Crew

If I have a choice I would buy most lens fixed/ prime.

Anyway, I now have a 17-50 Tamron, 70-200mm Tamron, 90mm Tamron, 24mm Nikkon and 30mm Sigma.

Out of all these lens, they all have different purpose. If you want three lens, I would suggest just getting one lens that will cover wide to zoom, the sigma 17-70 F2.8 sounds like a good choice. The reason is that it is really hard to just live on 3 lens.
Man Yip is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD