If you could only use 3 lenses.... - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 24th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #106
Major Player

Hey James,

Would love to know where I can learn that math...calculating dof based on aperture and lens would be a great thing to know... Does your calculation take into account the sensor size? My understanding is that the same lens used at the same aperture and focal length on a t2i and 5d will yield a shallower dof on the 5d due to the 5ds enormous sensor. Is this correct?
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 03:47 AM   #107
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Shama View Post
Hey James,

Would love to know where I can learn that math...calculating dof based on aperture and lens would be a great thing to know... Does your calculation take into account the sensor size? My understanding is that the same lens used at the same aperture and focal length on a t2i and 5d will yield a shallower dof on the 5d due to the 5ds enormous sensor. Is this correct?
Yes sensor size is part of the calculation. As you say, the bigger the sensor the shallower the DOF, other things being equal.

I don't think the maths is that hard to learn, but why bother when you can get a computer to do the work? Here are two useful online calculators that will enable you to pose as a ninja photo nerd:

Online Depth of Field Calculator

Field Of View Calculator
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #108
Major Player

you... rule...
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #109
Regular Crew

What do you think about getting "the three Canon low-light primes"?

I mean...

28mm 1.8
50mm 1.4
85mm 1.8

... and maybe cheat in a Tokina 11-16 for ulta wide shots.

Do you think that set would work?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD