DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   what lens is better (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/474489-what-lens-better.html)

Robert Bale March 10th, 2010 04:19 AM

what lens is better

Hello, i have a question about what lens to get, the canon is just a bit out of my budget, so what would be better for the 7D

Sigma APO 70-200mm F 2.8 II EX DG Macro HSM Lens - Canon Mount
Sigma APO 70-200mm F 2.8 II EX DG Macro HSM Lens - Canon Mount

or

Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 AF Di LD Lens - Canon Mount
Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 AF Di LD Lens - Canon Mount

Any help ?

Brian Luce March 10th, 2010 04:27 AM

One thing to check on this is the focus ring travel. My Tamron has short travel and focusing manually is not easy without a FF.

Floris de Rijke March 10th, 2010 10:54 AM

Sigma recently announced a 70-200 f/2.8 with OS as they call it. See Sigma launches stabilized 70-200mm F2.8 telezoom: Digital Photography Review for example. No word on pricing yet so might be good to wait out a little more if you can.

Have not owned any of these lenses, but from what I've heard the Tamron is the best optically, but has a very slow and noisy autofocus. The Sigma suffers from bad quality control and the tendency to front focus badly.

I've just bought a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS and I can tell you that it's wotrh saving for. If you are serious about filming/photography you'll see that you keep a good lens for lots of years so it's worth investing in. Look out for pricedrops and good second hand ones since the type II version of this lens will hit the market very soon.

Robert Bale March 11th, 2010 05:43 AM

so i found this, will it be ok

So it look like i will go for this $813.00 AUS

Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG Macro HSM Lenses

Jerry Porter March 11th, 2010 06:19 AM

I have the Tamron and it's a great piece of glass with a average auto focus in live view. In still mode the auto focus is pretty good, live view not so much, but I don't use auto very often in movie mode. It really is sharp and has great bokeh. It's also light for it's size and the build quality feels very nice. I have not tried the Sigma to give you a comparison, but I'm pretty happy with the Tamron.

Brian Luce March 11th, 2010 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Porter (Post 1498032)
I have the Tamron and it's a great piece of glass with a average auto focus in live view. In still mode the auto focus is pretty good, live view not so much, but I don't use auto very often in movie mode. It really is sharp and has great bokeh. It's also light for it's size and the build quality feels very nice. I have not tried the Sigma to give you a comparison, but I'm pretty happy with the Tamron.

Jerry,
How much focus ring travel is there?

Jerry Porter March 11th, 2010 06:40 AM

90 degrees lock to lock and it's a large ring so it feels like a nice long throw. I also have the Tamron 17 - 50 f2.8 and my only complaint about it is the VERY short focus ring movement. (which is actually almost 90, but it's small diameter makes it feel short)

Robert Bale March 11th, 2010 05:31 PM

Tamron Type

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Porter (Post 1498032)

Ok so i found this one
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm f2.8 Di LD IF Macro Lenses , is this the newest Tamron lens ?