what lens is better at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 10th, 2010, 04:19 AM   #1
Major Player

what lens is better

Hello, i have a question about what lens to get, the canon is just a bit out of my budget, so what would be better for the 7D

Sigma APO 70-200mm F 2.8 II EX DG Macro HSM Lens - Canon Mount
Sigma APO 70-200mm F 2.8 II EX DG Macro HSM Lens - Canon Mount

or

Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 AF Di LD Lens - Canon Mount
Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 AF Di LD Lens - Canon Mount

Any help ?

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 04:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

One thing to check on this is the focus ring travel. My Tamron has short travel and focusing manually is not easy without a FF.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #3
New Boot

Sigma recently announced a 70-200 f/2.8 with OS as they call it. See Sigma launches stabilized 70-200mm F2.8 telezoom: Digital Photography Review for example. No word on pricing yet so might be good to wait out a little more if you can.

Have not owned any of these lenses, but from what I've heard the Tamron is the best optically, but has a very slow and noisy autofocus. The Sigma suffers from bad quality control and the tendency to front focus badly.

I've just bought a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS and I can tell you that it's wotrh saving for. If you are serious about filming/photography you'll see that you keep a good lens for lots of years so it's worth investing in. Look out for pricedrops and good second hand ones since the type II version of this lens will hit the market very soon.
Old March 11th, 2010, 05:43 AM   #4
Major Player

so i found this, will it be ok

So it look like i will go for this $813.00 AUS

Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG Macro HSM Lenses

Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #5
Major Player

I have the Tamron and it's a great piece of glass with a average auto focus in live view. In still mode the auto focus is pretty good, live view not so much, but I don't use auto very often in movie mode. It really is sharp and has great bokeh. It's also light for it's size and the build quality feels very nice. I have not tried the Sigma to give you a comparison, but I'm pretty happy with the Tamron.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:25 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Porter View Post
I have the Tamron and it's a great piece of glass with a average auto focus in live view. In still mode the auto focus is pretty good, live view not so much, but I don't use auto very often in movie mode. It really is sharp and has great bokeh. It's also light for it's size and the build quality feels very nice. I have not tried the Sigma to give you a comparison, but I'm pretty happy with the Tamron.
Jerry,
How much focus ring travel is there?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #7
Major Player

90 degrees lock to lock and it's a large ring so it feels like a nice long throw. I also have the Tamron 17 - 50 f2.8 and my only complaint about it is the VERY short focus ring movement. (which is actually almost 90, but it's small diameter makes it feel short)
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #8
Major Player

Tamron Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Porter View Post
Ok so i found this one
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm f2.8 Di LD IF Macro Lenses , is this the newest Tamron lens ?

Robert Bale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD