Canon 50mm 1.8 + Follow Focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 29th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon 50mm 1.8 + Follow Focus

Hey all, I'm wondering if the Canon 50mm 1.8 will work with a follow focus setup with the focus ring being on the very front of the lens? Does anyone have any experience as to whether or not this will work?
Evan Agee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, I was thinking about ordering the indiFOCUSmini, I'm guessing it will, it's a pretty standard lens.
Stephen Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #3
New Boot

I have the indifocusmini and the 50 1.8. It won't work--the focus ring isn't wide enough to attach the gears
Brennan Barsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I've seen people using a rubber band around the focus ring to help mount the gears.
Skye Giebink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #5
Major Player

I have held back commenting, as I don't own the follow focus unit in question. However, I am sitting next to my EF 50mm f/1.8, and I have to say, I wouldn't even attempt it.

Your big problem is not only the width of the focus ring's surface (I'd say about 6mm), but the fact that it is not perpendicular to the plane of the lens, instead it tapers/slopes in. towards the lens face.

I have seen videos of the indy's snap gears and general operation, and I would be very doubtful that you could reliably fix the two systems together.

Last edited by James Donnelly; April 30th, 2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Correction
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm planning to get the Redrock Micro DSLR Cinema Bundle. I guess I'll just have to flip open the mattebox any time I want to set the focus, it's hinged so it shouldn't be a major issue.
Evan Agee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:24 PM   #7
Major Player

I was facing the same predicament. My solution was that I returned my "nifty fifty" and shelled out the money for a 1.4. The 1.4 is an awesome lens (IMHO). You won't regret the upgrade.
Old May 5th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Easy fix guys, just use a friction wheel. I use the nifty 50 all the time with no problem at all on the indifocusmini.
Andrew Allsbury is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD