Safe Recording Speed? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 4th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Safe Recording Speed?

Hi all,

did my first bit of filming the other day (interviews). I really wanted the maximum depth of field to show, so I had the aperture up to max (2.8). Seeing as the interviews were outside and with my speed set to 50, I had to bring down the brightness - so I kicked up the speed, and I don't know what I used but was probably about 300 or something. Anyway, looked fine on screen but the image was a bit stuttery when viewed in post. I always have my speed set at 50 with my regular video cam, and I realise that I should have probably done this here - but I just wondered what is the safest speeds to use up to without having too much of a stutter to the look (and helping to keep the Aperture to it's highest setting for DOF?)

Or should I never stray for that 1/50 speed setting again?!!!

Thanks
Martin Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Contributor

The shutter speed must be set to 1/50 for 24 fps video. Anything else can cause problems, either blurring or strobing. Which is why you use ND filters in motion picture cameras. Shooting video with a DSLR is more like shooting with a motion picture camera than a video camera in that regard. If you want to shoot with your lens wide open for a shallow depth of field, outdoors, you'd need probably an ND.9 and a .6 or .3. Instead of one really dark one, I use the .9, .6 and .3, and any combination of those will usually give me what I need. In bright sun the .9 gets things down to around a 5.6 usually.

If you buy ND filters at a still camera store, they usually don't use the .3, .6 and .9, etc., designations. They call them a No. 2, 4, 8, etc. Same thing, just a different designation system. Some people use the variable ND filters. I don't know much about them as I've always used the standard ones.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for that. I shoot in pal 30fps. So can I really use any other speed than 50?
Martin Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #4
Major Player

Martin,

PAL is 25fps.

A general rule is to keep the shutter at twice the frame rate, so for 25fps you'd shoot at 1/50th. This is only a general rule. You wont get shot if you change shutter speed. Indeed, there are many times when it is advantageous both from a creative stand point and a technical one.

My advice: test it and see what happens.
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Martin,

Like others have said, I'd say for interviews 1/50th is a good place to be. ND's are much better for controlling DoF than shutter speed when you're shooting video, because ND's change nothing about the image except for the amount of light hitting the plane. Changing shutter speed is certainly a creative decision that you can delve into, but I feel like for interviews you want to give your viewer something they're accustomed to (somewhere in the realm of 1/48 - 1/60).
Scott Lovejoy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD