7D lens questions and ND filters - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 05:22 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
For primes, don't forget to look at Zeiss......considered to probably be the best glass out there.
I'm not sure if the glass is the best, but it's a contender. I would say that the metal around the glass and the focus rings are probably the best. Especially if you rent a CP.2 kit. :)
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:45 AM   #17
Major Player

I'd get the Canon EF-S 17-55mm IS. I got my 7D with the kit lens and sold the kit lens. I also got the Tamron zoom, and image wise it was fine but for me the manual focusing was tricky because of the very short throw of the ring so I returned it and purchased the $400 more expensive Canon. The Canon is easier to focus and in my opinion has slightly better glass.

I've also gotten a Tamron superzoom lens, the 18-270mm IS for the 7D. It's got an amazing range, but seems noticeably softer and when zooming, even if you have it set to a high F-stop, the exposure still clicks on the zoom - annoying. But 270mm for such a compact lens is pretty amazing. But the faster zooms like the Canon 17-55 and the 70-200 2.8 are very nice, quality (and expensive) lenses.

I also have a few Sigma primes, and I like them a lot, the 50mm and the 30mm 1.4. They have a nice solid feel to the focus rings. I don't hear a lot of people talking about them but they look good to me. A sleeper for a 85mm is the Rokinon, and it is actually a very inexpensive lens but good glass.

I also have the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8mm and that one is nice because you can actually use it at 16mm on a 5D as well.

I used to use protective filters over my lenses but I stopped. I found they were actually degrading the image and adding another variable to the process. I make sure I have a hard hood on to protect the lens from crashing into something. I do use the Fader ND, especially outdoors.

So many lenses, so little time... Good luck!
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #18
Major Player

edited edited
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #19
Trustee

+1 on Canon EF-S 17-55mm IS. Awesome images, the lens stays on my 7D most of the time.

Also I think no-one mentioned this fantastic wide lens:

I own it, and it is a great lens with low distortion. Pleasure for architectural or otherwise wide shots. Wide enough for most situations even on 7D's APS-C sensor.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #20
New Boot

I recently bought a 7D and I've been using it to shoot TV commercials. I had the luxury of renting 5Ds and 7Ds with various lens packages before I decided on my purchase. I went with the 7 over the 5 mainly because the way I operate, mostly hand held, no shoulder rig, I was getting more more noticeable rolling shutter issues with the 5. The other, less important reason, is that I Iike to do my own focus and it's just enough harder with the 5 to make a difference for me. (I know, you can stop down and up the ISO, but it's always been my preference to shoot at between F 2 and 2.8, when possible). To my eye, I get better results with prime lenses over zooms. I love the Canon L series, but they are costly and I also really like the look I get with Nikon manual focus lenses. They are cheap enough, even with adapters, so you can build up a decent collection for just a little more than the cost of one L lens. In spite of my prejudice against zooms, I just ordered the 17-55 2.8 Canon to use for day exteriors. I have not tried it yet, so I can't comment, but lens changes were slowing me down and I was worrying that opening the camera so much out in the field was risking getting dirt on the sensor. As for NDs I use Tiffen (cheap and I've been using them for years on big budget commercials with few issues) ND .09s which drop the exposure down 3 stops. I'd probably use .06s too, if I had them, but so far the 9s have been sufficient.
Evan Estern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #21
Trustee

Here's a major advantage of 7D vs 5D for video: 7D outputs HD signal out HDMI for monitoring during recording.

5D however drops the output resolution to SD, making it impossible to use external monitors (I have a 7" one) for focusing.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD