Synchronizing 7D with other video cams in multicam shoot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 6th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Trustee

Synchronizing 7D with other video cams in multicam shoot

OK, ideally all cameras must have sync'd timecodes recorded onto their video clips.

In reality we rarely have such luxury in the indie/small commercial productions world.

So I thought it'd be great to have a solution for multicam setup that would NOT require mega-investments + awkward equipment to handle.

Here's my solution, hope you find it useful.

In short:

- Use EOS utility to set 7D's clock to match other cam's clock

- Shoot at will

- Use Date Created timestamp in the resulting video clips for rough sync in post - and yes, this can be automated (at least in Vegas... still looking for Premiere CS5 automation script.)

- Use Blooper Beeper (see photo of my DIY version attached) during acquisition as clapper board substitute (sans logging) for fine manual sync in post.

Voila! :)
Attached Thumbnails
Synchronizing 7D with other video cams in multicam shoot-blooper-beeperv1.jpg  
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Or just use Pluraleyes - as long as all the cameras have similar audio it will sync them for you in post. No need to clap or worry about timecode. In FCP it will create multiclips for you - not sure if Vegas has a similar type of feature. In any case you can just throw all your clips on a timeline, one track per camera, then run pluraleyes and get a sequence where everything is synced perfectly. The only time I've had it fail to sync something is when one camera is so far away from the subject that it doesn't pick up enough of the audio.
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Agreed on PluralEyes, some of the best money I've ever spent. Don't have to think about a thing, just throw all the clips on the timeline, let it run and come back to edit.

I recently had a full day shoot with a 7D and a T2i. I basically let the audio run all day and shot with the two cameras whenever I needed to. I threw the huge audio clip onto the timeline, put the 7D on one track and the T2i on a second track and let PluralEyes do its thing. It took a really long time to get everything synced (about 5 hours of footage) but once it was done everything was perfect and ready for editing.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Major Player

Is PluralEyes Final Cut only? I'm an Adobe CS4 user, would love to get something like that.
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough View Post
Agreed on PluralEyes, ... once it was done everything was perfect and ready for editing.
I wish I could say the same.

In my experience with PE Beta 1.1.0 3037 for Premiere CS5 (Win 7 64-bit), it:

- Did not sync half of the files
- Out of the ones it said were sync'd, many are false positives
- It disregarded Preserve Order checkbox and consistently shuffled files around the timeline
- It created XML project that, when opened in Premiere, showed empty gap between the files on timeline - yet that gap plays some video! Obviously bad XML on part of PluralEyes, I haven;'t seen that with anything else...

Initially I was also very excited about PluralEyes but when I looked closely at the results of the syncing it did, I'd say based on my experience that it is definitely more trouble than it's worth, sorry.

Read PE's support forums, many more complaints there that I do not see the company responses to.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Major Player

I've only ever used with with Final Cut, so I've got no idea how good it works with other editors.

I've probably used it on about 20 projects so far and it's been perfect every time. I do always have the "level audio" and "try really hard" options checked, that has sync'd some clips it previously said it couldn't.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD