DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Lens Options for New Gear on a Slim Budget (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/485171-lens-options-new-gear-slim-budget.html)

Michael Waclo September 23rd, 2010 05:29 AM

Lens Options for New Gear on a Slim Budget

Hello,

I'm looking at picking up either a 7D or a 60D body to start transitioning into DSLR video. I'm now wondering what I should do about lenses. For the money I have, I was either looking at picking up three Canon EF primes, at 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, and 85mm f1.8. Or, I could get a Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 for a little less.

I know the primes would have their benefits, being very fast, but I'm apprehensive, coming from my Canon XL1 kit lens, of giving up zoom.

However, the 15-85 lens is a bit slower, and paired with the Cinevate Core DSLR rig I was planning to purchase, I wasn't sure if the expansion of the lens during zoom would create headaches with the matte box.

I would really appreciate any input from the shooters around here.

Thank you!

Andy Wilkinson September 23rd, 2010 06:32 AM

If it were me I'd go with the primes. They will also retain there value really well should you not get on with (any one of) them - and there are some nice lenses in that bunch.

The zoom you mention is just way too slow (and is not constant aperture either, which will be a pain). I'm surprised it would cost close to the sum of the 3 primes you mention though.

That being said I use mainly zooms! (Canon 10-22mm, 17-55mm, both EF-S, 70-200mm and a 1.4x converter for it, as well as an Olympus OM 50mm F1.8 lens with adapter). You won't do any zooming during filming, just zoom to frame 99% of the time as you'll find out when you get to see the Cr£p ergonomics of shooting HD video with a DSLR.

So as some would say, with primes (most of the time) just take a few paces forward or back before hitting record! You'll certainly really appreciate the extra light available - it's a great sensor (on either cam), don't starve it of light!

Michael Waclo September 23rd, 2010 06:43 AM

Thanks, Andy!

I just read a Philip Bloom article recommending lenses, and I'm feeling good about the primes. I think I might skip the 28 and 50 for now, and start with a Sigma 30mm he highly recommended and get the 85mm Canon for situations when I can't get as close. I'm looking at doing mostly independent film making, and possibly some wedding videos, so I think those two lenses will be a good start until I can afford some more.

Andy Wilkinson September 23rd, 2010 06:45 AM

Sounds good. Don't forget to budget for some kind of (simple) rig to make any hand held work more smooth/remove the horrible microjitters that you might get with any off tripod shots, especially with the 85mm - and good luck!

One more thing, make sure you get a good copy of that Sigma. There are some very bad copies out there as their quality control leaves a lot to be desired - but get a good one and it'll be a superb lens. Search on here to find the thread that discusses this in detail.

EDIT: Here's one thread to get you started

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...0mm-1-4-a.html

Jon Braeley September 23rd, 2010 06:48 AM

First you need to tell us what you are shooting?

Choice of lens is dictated by this. Is it fiction? With actors? Documentary non-fiction... journalism? A hobby?
On location or hometown? Foreign lands? I make docs, so I use zooms except for a 50mm fast prime for low-light. I take 3 zooms that are 11-16, 24-70 and 70-200. I have little time for set-ups thats why.

I cannot use more lenses because I shoot in very remote location in Asia. For example my next shoot is in Shiyan in 2 weeks. So location is important - what you can carry.

I use L lenses 90% of the time. Thats bcause I shoot in dirty conditions. If its not pouring monsoon rain you can expect a dust storm. I also go from 80 degrees to minus 20 degrees in the mountains.

So subject/topic ..... location .... conditions .... then we can start talking about lenses.

Ok, lets add budget in there as well!

Michael Waclo September 23rd, 2010 07:30 AM

Thanks again, Andy... Like I said, I'm planning to get the DSLR Core Rig that Dave Clement designed for Cinevate... it seems like a nice compact rig with the follow focus/matte box that will add enough weight for handheld. I'm leaning toward the 60D's flip-out LCD for that purpose, as well.

Jon, I'm mainly looking at doing short narrative films with actors, possibly some music video work, and some wedding videos. I'd be shooting entirely within the US, most likely not in inclement weather. My lens budget is probably around $800 for now, which is why I was liking the Sigma 30mm, and the Canon 85mm, which I could get for about that amount.

Jon Braeley September 23rd, 2010 11:37 AM

These are all set-up situations so primes are the right way - especially that you will need them to be as fast as possible for music bands and weddings.
At some point though, try out the 70-200 /2.8 .... for the future!

Michael Waclo September 23rd, 2010 11:39 AM

Thanks, Jon! I don't see myself doing a lot of run-and-gun documentary or sports type shooting, so I'm hoping the primes will fit the bill... I'll definitely check out that zoom you mentioned once I'm ready for more upgrades!

Mark Andersson September 23rd, 2010 02:33 PM

Michael I too was on a slim budget for the 7D. I ended up getting a Sigma 17 - 50 mm with constant F2.8 with IS and a used Sigma 30mm F1.4.

I find the 17 - 50 mm most useful as it has image stabilization which is great with DSLR and its nice to be able to zoom a little when necessary.

You must remember the 7D lenses equate differently on the 7D because o its cropped censor. So your 30 mm would equate to a 50 mm etc. Just something to keep in mind.

If i need something specific i will just hire a required lens for the day, much better than forking out thousands of dollars for me at the moment.