7D or 60D for HD Dslr? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 16th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: 7D or 60D for HD Dslr?

So obviously the 7d outputs higher res for external monitoring than the 60d, but I only have a 8" Lilliput monitor (800x600), so would I even be able to tell the difference between the 7d and 60d output on this external monitor?
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 09:13 AM   #17
Inner Circle

We have both 7D and 60D and the 60D is a great camera. There are one or two things I prefer about the 7D, but mostly I would recommend the 60D as it has more advantages in my opinion; flip-out LCD, far less chance of overheating, locking mode button, less expensive, etc.

What I don't like is not being able to set Kelvin manually while actually seeing the changes live, and I don't like that the 'trash' button and 'play' button are not located closer together. You also get some buffering because the 60D has one less processor, but if you're using good and fast cards (which you should be anyways) it shouldn't be an issue.
Old April 21st, 2011, 01:43 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhong Cheung View Post
so would I even be able to tell the difference between the 7d and 60d output on this external monitor?
you would, but anyways, today I'd choose 60D, just because of flip out LCD, not 550D, been there done that
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

A year and a half later, just wanted to add this great video which helps make this decision:

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #20
Major Player

Thanks Chris - had not seen it before. Absolutely hilarious whilst being informative. Worth watching just for fun alone.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks, John -- I have a two 7D kits and a 60D and was trying to decide which to keep and which to sell. That's how I found this video. At first I was going to sell both 7D cameras and keep the 60D, but after reading this thread and finding the above video, I've chosen to keep a 7D and sell the 60D and the other 7D. Whew! But that video certainly kept my interest, that's for sure, and it was certainly good for a few laughs. He did a great job with it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Outstanding video! I have a 5D, but still loved the video...
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #23
Major Player

That takes me back. I think that video sold me on the 60D in the end, despite its lukewarmness. But they're photography nerds. They just don't get it.
Even now you do still find people who swear the 7D has superior video to the 60 (and 550, and 650 now I suppose), mostly because it cost twice as much so it has to. But no, it's a buff photography camera you bought. Be proud.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #24
Regular Crew

The swivel screen is what makes it so valuable to a video guy!
That and no overheating... at least mine never did...
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #25
Trustee

Firmware upgrade for the 7D does give you manual audio level control. Maybe not as flexible as the 60D's.
Can't really tell.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #26
Regular Crew

The 600d / t3i (with ML hack) is the best bang for buck camera out there!

Has the same image quality and same or better options in video mode as the 7d and 60d, and the swivel screen like 60d.

And, it' noticeably cheaper... Which does matter a lot, because your most important investment should be in lenses.
Mladen Ilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:23 PM   #27
Major Player

Yiasou Gianni, that is a good question. I would go with the 7D and record audio separately, because i would use the new magic lantern hack, but it is not 100% tested. For the 60D it is tested and working stable, so that might mean it would be safer to use versus untested 7D with magic lantern.

I would prefer to use the 7D because of full HDMI out during record, and i like using field monitors. BECAUSE the 7D magic lantern was not around, i bought instead two used canon t2i's and use magic lantern on them, for less than the cost of a 7D, which i will buy next.

Overall, i would still buy two t2i's now over one 7D or 60D (price is about the same for two used t2i's (550D) versus one 60D and less than one new 7D. What camera do you use now? i switched from Canon XH A1, and i miss having it.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD