7D or 60D for HD Dslr? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 24th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

7D or 60D for HD Dslr?

Hello,
i am a wedding videographer and i am thinking to switch to HD Dslr.
I am interesting only to video, not stills. My question is 7D or 60D?
What is the main differences between these two canon's?
And what is your suggestion?
Giannis Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 7D or 60D for HD Dslr?

If you will use an external monitor, the 7D is superior. It outputs HD through the HDMI output while recording. If you will use the LCD on the camera, the 60D is superior - the LCD is hinged.
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The 7D might have an edge with slightly better image quality, not sure, but it has also been known to have problems with overheating and file corruption. The 60D doesn't have as long a track record, but so far people have said that the 60D does not overheat. This is most likely due to the lcd screen being detached away from the sensor. I do know that I can overheat my T2i before 30 minutes of recording, but when I use Magic Lantern on it and turn the LCD off, it records for over 90 minutes without overheating.
Jim Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

What about image quality?
Is it true, that 60D limits your ISO usage due to extreme graininess or not?
Old March 25th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Trustee

The 60D seems to not allow ISO 12800 in video mode, whereas the 7D does.

That still shouldn't cause any problems especially if one has an f1.8 lens to work with. I highly recommend the Canon EF 28mm f1.8.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Trustee

I wouldn't use ISO 12800 anyways, and with fast lenses you will not be able to tell where is 7D and where is 60D, I prefer 7D just because of it's HDMI out for focusing, in dark receptions with fast lenses and wide aperture to get a sharp focus on that 3" screen - not with my eyesight :)
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The two cameras have identical image quality, the 60D doesn't overheat, has manual audio levels, hinged screen, uses cheaper SD cards, lower price.
The 7D outputs HD on HDMI while recording (making it very suitable for external monitor use), has better build quality (the 60D isn not bad either), better AF (for stills), shoots more fps (for stills), uses more expensive but sturdy CF cards, costs more.
In my humble opinion the 60D is the better camera for video unless you plan on using it with an HD external monitor.

Both will be noise free up to ISO1250, will be fine up to ISO1600 and at ISO3200 will still be a bit better than a Z5 @ +9db
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 06:07 AM   #8
Regular Crew

is there a video out on 60d that i can use external monitor?
Also, to change the settings( apperture..... etc), is there external buttons as 7D or i have to go into menu?
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #9
Major Player

I have both 7D and 60D. moving to 60D as my main cam for this wedding season.
I bought Marshall 5" HDMI and cheap 7" monitor from COOLLCD - On Camera LCD Monitor, LCD Field Monitor, Video Field Monitor, HD Field Monitor,.
Review video is on the way, but I have to test out a couple of things first.
Yes, 7D puts out (close to) full screen on Marshall, but can't read the damn recording time. If I put on info on LCD, it will crop down.
ON the other hand, 60D will let me navigate around with info button, but slightly cropped (not 480i cropped, though. slightly bigger).
Again, I am borrowing SmallHD DP6 as well from director friend of mine, and will put those 3 for a side to side comparison.
Look out for status update on JJ_Orange | Facebook

For camera-wise, I have no problem with 60D whatsoever. But 7D, I had several corrupted files incident last year with SanDisk, so I am switching to Lexar (which I've heard no problem with corruptions).
Swivel LCD really kicks ass, and I do not see any image quality difference between those two.
Hope that helps.

JJ
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannis Pass View Post
is there a video out on 60d that i can use external monitor?
Also, to change the settings( apperture..... etc), is there external buttons as 7D or i have to go into menu?
Shutter speed, aperture, iso, white balance (on Q button, no designated WB button), they are all changeable via buttons.

you can look at the photo to compare button layouts.
IMG_9536 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
(look at it on full res)
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #11
Major Player

my brother has the 60d, with manual sound, flip out lcd, no overheating and so on, it seems like a better buy for video.
For stills 7d is slightly better, but if I was a still photog, I'd have skipped the 7d and jumped to the 5d anyway.

Personally, I have the 7d and am a bit disappointed.
All the new models seem to have so much more bang for the buck, especially since ML has been able to crack them and offer them some amazing software.
I've shot with the 5d and think it's considerably better as well, especially in low light, but it does require more expensive lenses across the board.

Seems odd that Canon put so much effort in to protect the 7d but they offer no great software solutions or updates themselves. It's really annoying that we haven't seen some new features that cameras half the price have.
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Had a 7D, sold it. Now 60D, Nuff said.
Alan Halfhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #13
Major Player

I didn't want to start a new thread, and thought this might be slightly relevant here. I've been saving for a 7D, and have been in the same debate, 7D or 60D. I noticed the last few days the 7Ds have been out of stock on B&H and Adorama, and the prices for the different resellers on Amazon have jumped about $500 or $600 more then they were.

Would this have something to do with the disaster in Japan? Any chance they are going to bring out a new model, and they've sold out of existing stock much sooner then they thought? I would love a 5D, and if they bring out a new model in that, by the time I have my money together, I will go that route. Til them, I am still torn between 7D and 60D. I want for both video and Stills, but don't want to go for a 5D unless a new model emerges.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #14
Major Player

i am a 7d owner as you can see in what I wrote above.
My brother has the 60d and a company I work for has the 5d

If I were to buy today, primarily for videos, 60d no question. Maybe even t2 with magic lantern stuff.

For stills and video, I'd skip it all and go 5d only.
It's by far a better stills camera. Video is noticeably better in low light as well.
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi Folks,

I am thinking about getting a 60D as my second camera. I am using Sony HVR Z7U for the longer shoots and main camera. I some time have 3-4 hours long shoots in a day.

What others gears do you use along with 60D for video shoots? Such as any stabilizers, lights, Zacuto, follow focus etc all the time?

I have Zoom H4N, Rode mic, booms etc. that I can use. I am just looking for those shallow dof shots to blend in with my other footage.

Since I have couple of Nikon prime lens, can I use them in the Canon with an adaptor without any known issues?

These are lots of questions, but I need you advices before maiking any decision,. I appreciate your advices.

Thanks in advance.
Azadul Haq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD