Filming Wedding with T3i vs T2i at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 29th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Filming Wedding with T3i vs T2i

Just finished a 14-hour wedding yesterday using T3i for the first time. I upgraded two of my T2i to two T3i for these reasons (I haven't installed the ML heck on T2i before),

- Manual audio control
- 3x Digital zoom
- Articulating LCD screen

I am so please to report,

I have RODE VideoMic connected to the camera. One time I didn't plug in the cord tight enough. Some of the clips has one side audio, and some where just empty. Now I am able to view the audio meter display through the Menu screen and be able to turn off audio AGC. The sound recorded in T2i gets worst when picking up sound from loud speakers. Now I can adjust the recording level to avoid any clipping.

The 3x Digital Zoom is the best feature (sorry 60D owners :). It requires a few button clicks to get to it. However, I already trained myself to switch quickly between normal setting and digital zoom. With the 3X digital zoom, I can get good range even with my Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 lens, from wide angle view to close ups. For example, at Cake Cutting, I can get a full view including the bride and groom and the cake table. Then I can switch to a good close up when they feed each other. Very happy with the result.

The articulating LCD screen makes shooting a lot easier. Doesn't have to be on eye-level all the time. I can raise the tripod center column goes above everybody's head and still be able to see the LCD screen without much guessing. When I use the slider, I have rotate the LCD screen to the angle where I can see the view clearly.

Lastly, there isn't any single incident of overheating all day at all.

So my next step is to sell my third T2i and replace it with another T3i on Merlin. I am thinking of selling my Canon 70-200mm F2.8L. =)

Last edited by Taky Cheung; May 29th, 2011 at 01:36 PM.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Filming Wedding with T3i vs T2i

The 3x and 10x on the T3i is the ONE feature I wish my 60D had haha.
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks for the report Taky.

I just shot my first all-DSLR wedding using a single 550D (pro-bono for my girlfriends brother; I would never do a paid gig with a single DSLR!) with Magic Lantern Installed. Everything went really well so now I plan to sell my aging camcorders and pick up 2 new DSLR bodies.

However I don't think I could get by without Magic Lantern - it is an amazing tool and is going to be a big factor in what camera I buy next. I think I'll pass on the 600D and get another 550D and a 60D, that way all the cameras can have Magic Lantern. I'll be giving up the 3x crop mode, but honestly, the 70-200 is my favorite lens and I love using it. I'd rather pass on the 3x crop mode and get a live histogram, kelvin WB, full time audio meters and levels, zebras, and cropmarks. I also find the ML lens data
to be invaluable, espescially when using a wide lens with a stabiliser.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhong Cheung View Post
The 3x and 10x on the T3i is the ONE feature I wish my 60D had haha.
Yes, that was one of the main reason I upgrade from T2i to T3i. I only use it at 3X. At 10X the artifact is showing. Still at 3X it makes any standard lens ore powerful I shooting close up.
Old May 30th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post

However I don't think I could get by without Magic Lantern - it is an amazing tool and is going to be a big factor in what camera I buy next. I think I'll pass on the 600D and get another 550D and a 60D, that way all the cameras can have Magic Lantern. I'll be giving up the 3x crop mode, but honestly, the 70-200 is my favorite lens and I love using it. I'd rather pass on the 3x crop mode and get a live histogram, kelvin WB, full time audio meters and levels, zebras, and cropmarks. I also find the ML lens data
to be invaluable, espescially when using a wide lens with a stabiliser.

I like my 70-200mm 2.8L, however, it really can't be very useful in some tight space restaurant reception. But I do agree all these features provided by ML makes the camera useful in video shooting. I like the audio meter display showing at all time. That's a great feature. What about the cntinous recording after the 12 min mark? Thats invaluable too.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I think that the magic lantern is so awesome. I would not want to get rid of it for the forseeable future, however the OVERHEATING of the t2i is a major issue for me. I did a wedding last weekend and the ceremony went a little long (I was telling the preacher to shut up in my mind). After about 30 minutes both t2i's were overheating, very frustrating to deal with. Had to stagger each one and shut them down for about 2-3 minutes at a time to get through the remainder of the service. I need the t3i for that reason alone, so basicallly I want to run with a t3i & 2 t2i's. So at least the t3i can be SOMEWHAT of a safe cam, not having to worry about overheating. But I want to keep the t2i's for the magic lantern capability too. So i guess I want the best of both worlds, but i really want what I need to get the job done!!!

If there is anybody that has overheated there t3i, please let me know, thanks!
Keith Betters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:48 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Who knows, there might be a ML for T3i soon =)
Old June 2nd, 2011, 05:00 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I think if that happens, that little machine would be unstoppable. At that point, you are starting to run of options for it to do. Of course there are many more things that high end cameras have, like as far outputs and and timecode, genlock, etc. but for $1,000 a t3i with magic lantern would have to be the best camera out there in terms of value.
Keith Betters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 06:15 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
Who knows, there might be a ML for T3i soon =)
For those who do not know about this, it's in the pipeline. Arm Indy released his minimal initial version to the ML developer list a couple of weeks ago, so expect development to gather pace. When it is more complete, I will upgrade from the t2i for sure.
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:54 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Question:

I own a T1i & a 7D. It seems if filming long enough, both can over heat. Is the T3i superior to the 7D on this issue & if so, why?
Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:57 PM   #11
Inner Circle

It was a 14 hours wedding. There was no single incident of overheating.

Last year, I remembered one morning, we were shooting prepping. When the groom arrived an hour later, both if my T2i got overheated.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:58 PM   #12
Inner Circle

One issue is the two chips in the 7D versus one in the T3i. In addition, the LCD on the 7D adds to build up of heat. With the t3i, the LCD is out away from the camera. These are reasons most believe have reduced overheating issues.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:00 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Not only that, there is n way to turn off the LCD display on t2i. With 60D and T2i, you can flip over the LCD screen and close to turn off the display while still shooting video.
Old June 4th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #14
Major Player

The screen can be turned off on the T2i with Magic Lantern. The 3X digital zoom sounds like a must have, would hope it could be added to Magic Lantern, too.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I am happy to report that turning of the lcd screen does help to reduce overheating. I did a wedding two weeks ago and both t2i's start overheating about 35 minutes into ceremony. Very frustrating to deal with. However, I filmed a church service on Sunday and I used the feature on Magic Lantern to turn off the lcd screen. The service went about an hour and there were no flashing bulb for overheating!!!

I just thought I would share this with everyone. I still want the t3i because of the zoom feature and it saves me from buying the $800 tamron 70-200mm f/2,8!!!

I went to the local camera store last week and tested the zoom feature on the t3i with the stock lens. At 3x-5x there is very little distortion...10x was distorted alot more than I thought it would be. I would never shoot at 10x...My thoughts are that I will buy the $475 tamron 28-75mm 2.8, and use the 3x feature so therefore at big churches I can hit 225mm with it zoomed in at 75mm & 3x...If need be I can stretch it to 5x and get it to 375 but I wouldn't want or need to be any closer than that!!! The good thing about this is I can still go back to 28mm if i need to. Because last week I rented the canon 70-200 2.8 for a wedding. It's a great lens but I was about 65 feet from the altar. Well, when the bride comes down the ailse, she passes right by but the 70mm was way too close & too tight to get her in focus.

So what my plan is, is to shoot between 28-75mm as the bride and wedding party march in. Then switch to 3x zoom mode if it is needed in that particular venue. I realize you have to stop recording to switch but it's only takes about 5-10 seconds and I will have 2 other cameras ruuning as well.

Whew, I know thats alot but I know there are alot of people switching over to DSLR for weddings so its alot of things to be conscious of. So I wanted to pass some info on from trial & errror out in the field.

Last edited by Keith Betters; June 6th, 2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: mispelled
Keith Betters is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD