60D audio input question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 7th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Major Player

60D audio input question

I'm sorry for making a duplicate post, but I asked this in the audio forum and nobody's responding.

My question is: I found that the Rode VideoMic Pro works very well when the audio gain on the camera is cranked down to almost nothing and the mic is set to 20db. But when I hook up my Sony UHF wireless, the audio sounds clear but muted. Just for grins and giggles, I plugged the cable into the monitor out (headphone) jack on the receiver, instead of plugging it into the regular audio output jack. The audio in the camera is now crisp and clear and has perfect volume..

Howzat? Is the monitor out jack acting like a line-in into the camera?

And are there any risks to the camera doing it this way?

Thanks,
Charles
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 60D audio input question

Wait, so you plugged the Sony mic cable into the jack on the side of the camera that is supposed to have your standard composite breakout cable for a television output plugged into it?

Wow. That's interesting. I had no idea that jack went 2 ways. Does it do the same for the Rode? Does it still work with both mics plugged in?

The only damage I could imagine it could cause is possibly if you plug in a mic that had a battery for Phantom Power and it sent a spike towards your camera or something. Seems like it'd be a rare occurrence though.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Major Player

No... I plugged the stereo mini plug from the wireless into the stereo mini-plug audio input on the camera. But instead of using the audio out port on the wireless, I used the monitor out (headphones) port.

I guess I didn't make that clear.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Oh, that makes more sense now. I haven't had any experience with Sony wireless units, so I'm not sure, but yeah I'd venture a guess that the monitor out on it would be sending out more juice than the actual Mic out. Could definitely be why. When you run it this way you need to leave the camera audio set low like with your VMP correct?
Paul Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes. That's correct.

The Sony wireless conveniently comes with both an XLR out from the receiver, or a stereo-mini.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD