Converting 60p to 24p without slowing footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 6th, 2011, 05:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Converting 60p to 24p without slowing footage

Does anyone have any experience of doing this. I use a 5dmk2 and a 7d with the 7d being primarily for slowmo work and thefore shoot this at 60p but sometimes it would be useful not to have to slow the footage down but still be able to edit with 24p on the same timeline. Any thoughts (other than speeding up the converted 60p footage on the timeline)
Tim Davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Converting 60p to 24p without slowing footage

This is not the case with my 720-60p footage.

I drop this on to my 24p timeline and it does not change. I am using Final Cut. It plays back normal as per the 24p footage - same speed.

To go slo-mo I then take the file on the timeline into Cinema Tools and convert to 23.98 - perfect slo-mo.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I often convert my Panasonic TM700 60P footage to 24P (Sony MXF) in Sony Vegas using the batch render tool. This 24p matches what I regularly shoot with my Sony EX1 -- Vegas seems happier when all the codecs are the same.

The point being that you can render your 60P files to 24P output without transforming them into slow motion.
Old June 6th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Major Player

Subscribing. So the only negative would be less blurry footage (if you shoot your 60p source with shutter speed of 1/120)? You don't get the "saving private ryan" look of 60p when converted to 24p? I understand you can drop 60p footage into your timeline and playback at normal speed, but I thought it still had the 60p look to it.

So for premier, would you conform the footage using cineform before taking it into premier?
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #5
Trustee

In Premiere, just do whatever you normally do when importing footage to a project. Then drop it straight onto the timeline and make sure frame blending is switched off. Easy as that.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 02:24 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Fiske View Post
Subscribing. So the only negative would be less blurry footage (if you shoot your 60p source with shutter speed of 1/120)? You don't get the "saving private ryan" look of 60p when converted to 24p? I understand you can drop 60p footage into your timeline and playback at normal speed, but I thought it still had the 60p look to it.

So for premier, would you conform the footage using cineform before taking it into premier?
well, the saving private Ryan look is thanks to faster shutter speed, not faster frame rates.

But I understand the question, the 60p look feels more artificial than 25 or 24p

I am actually wondering the same thing. On a select few clips I've actually converted it and then deleted every other frame to keep it at normal speed, this is far too time consuming to do this a lot though
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #7
Major Player

This is why so many choose to shoot in 30p. A very natural frame rate especially for broadcast-DVD.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Westerstrom View Post
But I understand the question, the 60p look feels more artificial than 25 or 24p
Even when converted to 24p? (well 23.98)
Tim Davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Westerstrom View Post
well, the saving private Ryan look is thanks to faster shutter speed, not faster frame rates.

Hmm, interesting. I shot some 720 60p footage last weekend but forgot to bump the shutter speed from 1/50 to 1/120. It still had that "saving private ryan" feel. I haven't had a chance to slow it down to see how it looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Davison View Post
Even when converted to 24p? (well 23.98)

When you shoot at higher shutter speeds it will look sharper, like watching a NFL game.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #10
Inner Circle

To me, high frame rate video looks more real. The real world doesn't stutter. 24p looks more dream-like. And that's why I prefer it. We generally want our video to look more like a dream than real. :)

I think people are mixing up a few cases in this thread:

1) Shoot and playback at 24p. A shutter time of 1/50 looks "normal". A shutter time of 1/200 or faster looks stuttery (Private Ryan). This is best used for intense action.

2) Shoot at a fast rate, such as 60p. Playback at 24p. You get slow motion. Shoot at 1/120 (half the frame time), and the slow motion video will look smooth with an effective 1/48 shutter.

3) Shoot fast, play fast. This gives smooth motion without stutter or motion blur. Very realistic. Possibly too realistic. Some call it the "soap opera effect."

Last edited by Jon Fairhurst; June 8th, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
Jon Fairhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD