DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Canon Rebel T3i 18-55mm stock lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/498268-canon-rebel-t3i-18-55mm-stock-lens.html)

Harry Bromley-Davenport July 9th, 2011 01:37 PM

Canon Rebel T3i 18-55mm stock lens

I'd like to find out if anyone else has an issue with the 18-55mm lens that ships with the Canon Rebl 3ti.

The focusing barrel on mine is kind of a loose fit - it wobbles about 1mm each way and that's visible in the recorded picture. I'm not talking about the connection from the camera to the lens - just the focusing barrel.

In addition, I'm not sure if the Stabilization actually works at all on this lens. I can't see any evidence of stabilizing. It seems to record every tiny little movement of my hands. Either it doesn't work - perhaps my lens is faulty - or perhaps I am expecting too much. I have a Canon XLH1 which has excellent stabilization.

Another thing: is this just a cheap nasty lens, or is it my eyes? I don't think much of it. I see softness even when I know then picture is as sharp as I can get it.

Opinions appreciated.

Harry.

Richard D. George July 11th, 2011 10:47 PM

Re: Canon Rebel T3i 18-55mm stock lens

For my son's T2i we immediately replaced the "stock" lens with the Canon EF-S 15-85 IS lens. Though not constant aperature, it is a much better lens. See reviews at still photography sites like fredmiranda dot com and the-digital-picture dot com. To use my 77mm filters I bought the Heliopan 72 to 77 step-up ring. A bit expensive but a well-built step-up ring (brass, I believe) that does not jam.

Harry Bromley-Davenport July 12th, 2011 08:30 PM

Thank you very much for the response. Next week I'll go down to Samy's camera to do a test.

I appreciate the response.

Best wishes,

Harry.

Richard D. George July 13th, 2011 02:38 PM

The full name is EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS USM. I think I paid close to $800 for it, plus the lens hood (sold separately). If you plan on investing in filters, 77mm is a smart choice. Therefore, you would also want a 72mm to 77 mm step-up ring.

If you check reviews, you will find that this is actually a really good lens (though not constant aperture) - much, much better than the "stock" lens.

A great lens for stills. For video you should not zoom while shooting, and it will not be ideal for low light.

Sam Kanter July 28th, 2011 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Bromley-Davenport (Post 1665818)
I'd like to find out if anyone else has an issue with the 18-55mm lens that ships with the Canon Rebl 3ti.

The focusing barrel on mine is kind of a loose fit - it wobbles about 1mm each way and that's visible in the recorded picture. I'm not talking about the connection from the camera to the lens - just the focusing barrel.

In addition, I'm not sure if the Stabilization actually works at all on this lens. I can't see any evidence of stabilizing. It seems to record every tiny little movement of my hands. Either it doesn't work - perhaps my lens is faulty - or perhaps I am expecting too much. I have a Canon XLH1 which has excellent stabilization.

Another thing: is this just a cheap nasty lens, or is it my eyes? I don't think much of it. I see softness even when I know then picture is as sharp as I can get it.

Opinions appreciated.

Harry.

It is a $100 lens and the build quality is somewhat poor. The optics and stabilization, however, are quite good and have received excellent reviews. You either have a bad copy or there is some type of user error.
Have you turned on the IS switch?

Willard Hill July 28th, 2011 02:58 AM

I got this lens when I bought the kit because the T3i body only was not in stock at B&h. My copy seems soft to me and I seldom use it.

Willard Hill July 29th, 2011 02:45 AM

I might add that this is more noticeable with stills, and the lens is more acceptable for video use, but I end up using other lenses as they work better.