Canon Rebel T3i 18-55mm stock lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 9th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon Rebel T3i 18-55mm stock lens

I'd like to find out if anyone else has an issue with the 18-55mm lens that ships with the Canon Rebl 3ti.

The focusing barrel on mine is kind of a loose fit - it wobbles about 1mm each way and that's visible in the recorded picture. I'm not talking about the connection from the camera to the lens - just the focusing barrel.

In addition, I'm not sure if the Stabilization actually works at all on this lens. I can't see any evidence of stabilizing. It seems to record every tiny little movement of my hands. Either it doesn't work - perhaps my lens is faulty - or perhaps I am expecting too much. I have a Canon XLH1 which has excellent stabilization.

Another thing: is this just a cheap nasty lens, or is it my eyes? I don't think much of it. I see softness even when I know then picture is as sharp as I can get it.

Opinions appreciated.

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Canon Rebel T3i 18-55mm stock lens

For my son's T2i we immediately replaced the "stock" lens with the Canon EF-S 15-85 IS lens. Though not constant aperature, it is a much better lens. See reviews at still photography sites like fredmiranda dot com and the-digital-picture dot com. To use my 77mm filters I bought the Heliopan 72 to 77 step-up ring. A bit expensive but a well-built step-up ring (brass, I believe) that does not jam.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you very much for the response. Next week I'll go down to Samy's camera to do a test.

I appreciate the response.

Best wishes,

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Major Player

The full name is EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS USM. I think I paid close to $800 for it, plus the lens hood (sold separately). If you plan on investing in filters, 77mm is a smart choice. Therefore, you would also want a 72mm to 77 mm step-up ring.

If you check reviews, you will find that this is actually a really good lens (though not constant aperture) - much, much better than the "stock" lens.

A great lens for stills. For video you should not zoom while shooting, and it will not be ideal for low light.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 01:43 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Bromley-Davenport View Post
I'd like to find out if anyone else has an issue with the 18-55mm lens that ships with the Canon Rebl 3ti.

The focusing barrel on mine is kind of a loose fit - it wobbles about 1mm each way and that's visible in the recorded picture. I'm not talking about the connection from the camera to the lens - just the focusing barrel.

In addition, I'm not sure if the Stabilization actually works at all on this lens. I can't see any evidence of stabilizing. It seems to record every tiny little movement of my hands. Either it doesn't work - perhaps my lens is faulty - or perhaps I am expecting too much. I have a Canon XLH1 which has excellent stabilization.

Another thing: is this just a cheap nasty lens, or is it my eyes? I don't think much of it. I see softness even when I know then picture is as sharp as I can get it.

Opinions appreciated.

Harry.
It is a $100 lens and the build quality is somewhat poor. The optics and stabilization, however, are quite good and have received excellent reviews. You either have a bad copy or there is some type of user error.
Have you turned on the IS switch?
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 02:58 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I got this lens when I bought the kit because the T3i body only was not in stock at B&h. My copy seems soft to me and I seldom use it.
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I might add that this is more noticeable with stills, and the lens is more acceptable for video use, but I end up using other lenses as they work better.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD