DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   Nikon to EOS? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/507432-nikon-eos.html)

Charles House April 30th, 2012 07:31 PM

Nikon to EOS?

If I found a good deal on a Nikon lens, is there a cheap method to adapt it for an EOS?

Mark Von Lanken April 30th, 2012 08:51 PM

Re: Nikon to EOS?

Hi Charles,

I'm sure you find some cheaper and some more expensive, but I have several Fotodiox Nikon to EOS adapters and they work great. I have been using them for two years. You can buy direct from Fotodiox or they also have an eBay store where they are listed for $17.95.

Fotodiox Nikon F Lens to Canon EOS EF Mount Adapter (R) | eBay

Charles House April 30th, 2012 09:07 PM

Is the only downside autofocus? How difficult is setting aperture on lenses without external adjustments?

Mark Von Lanken April 30th, 2012 09:28 PM

Hi Charles,

All of my Nikon lenses are old vintage units without auto focus. Most of my lenses have a physical aperture ring. I only have 3 lenses with the EOS mount that exposure is controlled electronically, Tokina 11-16, Tamron 17-50 and a Canon 70-200. I actually prefer having a physical aperture ring.

Charles House April 30th, 2012 09:37 PM

Oddly enough, I'm looking for a good deal on either the same Tokina or a Sigma 17-50, and keep finding Nikons for cheaper, hence my asking.

Mark Von Lanken April 30th, 2012 10:18 PM

Okay, now I'm with. I thought you were talking about Nikon lenses. I do not have any experience with adapting a Nikon mount lense that uses electronics to control the aperture. I see that Fotodiox has more expensive adapters, so perhaps those units allow you to control the electronic features, but like I said, I do not have personal experience. I'm sorry that I could not be of more help.

Lee Mullen May 6th, 2012 10:04 PM

I have just bought an old manual Nikon F mount lens with manual aperture ring. If I want to use an adapter for M4/3, EOS etc, can I still manually control the aperture ring on the lens?

John C. Chu May 7th, 2012 01:17 PM

Yes.. that's one of the cool things about using old manual Nikon lenses on the Canon T2i. You have a physical aperture ring.

Lee Mullen June 13th, 2012 04:57 AM

Can any Nikon lenses be controlled electronically on EOS with a certain adapter??

Matt Davis June 13th, 2012 04:34 PM

I have the 16x9 adaptor from Nikkor to EOS, which manually actuates the G series iris with a little finger flange on the adaptor mount.

I used this with my Nikkor 17-55 2.8 DX lens on the Canon 550D specifically for filming as a totally manual lens, until I could score a nice EOS 17-55 2.8 with IS.

I love the Nikkor, but I have to say that you go from 2.8 to 22 in about 30 degrees of rotation of the finger flange. Subtle it ain't. Pull iris during a shot? No.

Also, you're never sure exactly what iris setting you have - you're relying on histograms and sort of zen like pressure on the finger flange to make delicate adjustments.

But hey - it put a great lens on an interesting body. It worked as well as I could have hoped for.

Nikon G - Canon EOS Adapter

I note that there's now a version with AF confirm (rather than full AI) that doesn't add much extra to the cost of the mount.

Kren Barnes July 13th, 2012 11:01 AM

My favorite lens that i use a lot for weddings is a vintage NIkkor 50mm 1.4 (on a 60D) which i got an adapter for from ebay for $11...also love the fact that i can control aperture right on the lens...

Kren

Matt Thomas July 17th, 2012 08:54 AM

Yeah, I'd always recommend Manual lenses over Automatic just because it gives you the option to use on more cameras without a great deal of extra expense.

Victor Nguyen July 19th, 2012 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken (Post 1730652)
Hi Charles,

I'm sure you find some cheaper and some more expensive, but I have several Fotodiox Nikon to EOS adapters and they work great. I have been using them for two years. You can buy direct from Fotodiox or they also have an eBay store where they are listed for $17.95.

Fotodiox Nikon F Lens to Canon EOS EF Mount Adapter (R) | eBay

is this the same one from your link?