Nikon to EOS? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 30th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Nikon to EOS?

If I found a good deal on a Nikon lens, is there a cheap method to adapt it for an EOS?
Charles House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Nikon to EOS?

Hi Charles,

I'm sure you find some cheaper and some more expensive, but I have several Fotodiox Nikon to EOS adapters and they work great. I have been using them for two years. You can buy direct from Fotodiox or they also have an eBay store where they are listed for $17.95.

Fotodiox Nikon F Lens to Canon EOS EF Mount Adapter (R) | eBay
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Is the only downside autofocus? How difficult is setting aperture on lenses without external adjustments?
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Charles,

All of my Nikon lenses are old vintage units without auto focus. Most of my lenses have a physical aperture ring. I only have 3 lenses with the EOS mount that exposure is controlled electronically, Tokina 11-16, Tamron 17-50 and a Canon 70-200. I actually prefer having a physical aperture ring.
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Oddly enough, I'm looking for a good deal on either the same Tokina or a Sigma 17-50, and keep finding Nikons for cheaper, hence my asking.
Old April 30th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #6
Major Player

Okay, now I'm with. I thought you were talking about Nikon lenses. I do not have any experience with adapting a Nikon mount lense that uses electronics to control the aperture. I see that Fotodiox has more expensive adapters, so perhaps those units allow you to control the electronic features, but like I said, I do not have personal experience. I'm sorry that I could not be of more help.
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #7

I have just bought an old manual Nikon F mount lens with manual aperture ring. If I want to use an adapter for M4/3, EOS etc, can I still manually control the aperture ring on the lens?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #8
Major Player

Yes.. that's one of the cool things about using old manual Nikon lenses on the Canon T2i. You have a physical aperture ring.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #9

Can any Nikon lenses be controlled electronically on EOS with a certain adapter??
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #10
Trustee

I have the 16x9 adaptor from Nikkor to EOS, which manually actuates the G series iris with a little finger flange on the adaptor mount.

I used this with my Nikkor 17-55 2.8 DX lens on the Canon 550D specifically for filming as a totally manual lens, until I could score a nice EOS 17-55 2.8 with IS.

I love the Nikkor, but I have to say that you go from 2.8 to 22 in about 30 degrees of rotation of the finger flange. Subtle it ain't. Pull iris during a shot? No.

Also, you're never sure exactly what iris setting you have - you're relying on histograms and sort of zen like pressure on the finger flange to make delicate adjustments.

But hey - it put a great lens on an interesting body. It worked as well as I could have hoped for.

Nikon G - Canon EOS Adapter

I note that there's now a version with AF confirm (rather than full AI) that doesn't add much extra to the cost of the mount.
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #11
Major Player

My favorite lens that i use a lot for weddings is a vintage NIkkor 50mm 1.4 (on a 60D) which i got an adapter for from ebay for $11...also love the fact that i can control aperture right on the lens...

Kren
Old July 17th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Major Player

Yeah, I'd always recommend Manual lenses over Automatic just because it gives you the option to use on more cameras without a great deal of extra expense.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken View Post
Hi Charles,

I'm sure you find some cheaper and some more expensive, but I have several Fotodiox Nikon to EOS adapters and they work great. I have been using them for two years. You can buy direct from Fotodiox or they also have an eBay store where they are listed for $17.95.

Fotodiox Nikon F Lens to Canon EOS EF Mount Adapter (R) | eBay
is this the same one from your link?

Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD