Minolta lenses? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 23rd, 2012, 11:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Minolta lenses?

my uncle have a bunch of minolta lenses and he was wondering which is the best Minolta to eos adapter ?
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Minolta lenses?

Hi Victor,

Unfortunately the Minolta SLR system had a narrower distance between the rear element and the focal plane than Canon EOS does. The lenses aren't usable without an adapter that has optics to make them work. This makes the focal length longer, makes them slower lenses and also reduces the quality of the image, especially when wide-open. To use a Minolta lens on an EOS camera a conversion is necessary that removes the old lens mount and puts on one that is thinner. This allows the lens to go further into the camera body and achieve infinite focus. But this creates another problem - the rear element can come very close to or even hit the mirror. This is only an issue on full-frame cameras though. This is a good reference which show most lens' register:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~wes...-register.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

Camera systems with registers that are wider than the Canon/EOS system can be adapted without optics.

One of the most amazing lenses I've owned was a Minolta 58/1.2. Just sold it off to fund some other purchases:

Minolta MC Rokkor PG 58 58mm 1.2 f1.2 professionally converted to Canon EOS/EF* | eBay
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #3
Major Player

I think my uncle now wants a different camera brand because of this problem. I heard the sony nex 5n are good with minolta lenses is that correct?
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #4
Trustee

minolta OM manual focus mount lenses do NOT require any glass. I have a pile of OM mount glass that works fine. bottom line is : get a couple CHEAP adapters on ebay. try them between lenses. use the one that works best. having had quite a few of them some are a little tighter than others, and swapping them around helps. I'm sure they all come from the same line and just have variations in manufacture.
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
minolta OM manual focus mount lenses do NOT require any glass. I have a pile of OM mount glass that works fine. bottom line is : get a couple CHEAP adapters on ebay. try them between lenses. use the one that works best. having had quite a few of them some are a little tighter than others, and swapping them around helps. I'm sure they all come from the same line and just have variations in manufacture.
Sorry bud, but you have them mixed up.

OM = Olympus Mount.

Definitely not the same as Minolta MC/MD mount nor the AF A-mount.

I have lenses for all three mounts, and you've definitely got them mixed up.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Trustee

ya...you're right.... OM is olympus GRRRRRR. must not post too late again :>
Old July 16th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Trustee

Vintage Minolta lenses work fine on the Micro Four Thirds format bodies, Olympus Pen, OMD E-M5, and just about all of the Panasonic MFT cameras, GH1, GH2, G series, GF series, etc.

He should watch the "for sale" forums on this site and several others for a used GH2 body in good shape. With the GH3 rumored to be announced soon I look for folks to be selling off GH2's.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #8
Major Player

I thought the gh3 is not gonna be announce until september? man am I excited to see what panasonic is gonna bring and I'm hoping to snatch a cheap gh2.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD