Considering moving to DSLR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 11th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Considering moving to DSLR

Hello, I currently own a NEX-VG20 which I am annoyed at for the the fact that I can't even get a flat image for colour correcting, At first I didn't think this would be a problem but now I know it certainly is.

I wanted to know if the Canon 7D is better than the panasonic GH2 camera for video, I want a camera that handles the highlights well, and can produce a flat image for colour correction. Would you guy's be able to outline the drawbacks of both cameras for me as well as the advantages? I want to replicate the look of film as much as possible.

Thank you.
Chris Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Considering moving to DSLR

I don't know about the other cams, but you can store up to three flat picture styles in Canon's DSLRs and you can fine-tune each in the camera. DSLRs handle highlights quite well in that they don't turn green or yellow when they blow out. They blow out to white.

With the 8-bit codec, the main difficulty is that there are only so many bits to go around. If the skin tones are in the middle of the scale and are the key to the image, I will shoot with a bit more contrast and sacrifice the highlights or shadows to give the face more bits. If you're filming skunks on white sand eating black licorice, the flatter the better. It's easy to store and use multiple options.

Just be aware that with only eight bits, flat isn't a silver bullet for all situations.
Old May 11th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Law View Post
...I wanted to know if the Canon 7D is better than the panasonic GH2 camera for video...
Chris - I had a T2i (same sensor as the 7D) and sold it after I got my GH2. The GH2 has close to zero moire - unlimited video clip length (unlike most Canons, which limit you to 12 minutes) - and its autofocus works in video mode (no autofocus in video with the Canons). In addition, the Canons' optical viewfinder goes blank in video mode, while the Panasonic's electronic viewfinder is still usable.
The GH2 also has better video resolution than the Canons. Here is a side-by-side example with the 7D (see the details in her jewelry and the trees in the distance):

More of the 7D's softness compared to the GH2:

And here is a side-by-side of the GH2 and the Canon 60D that shows the moire problem (same sensor and video processing algorithm as the T2i and 7D):

For film-style results, I guess you can tell that I recommend the GH2 over any of the Canons. You can certainly get good results with a Canon, but their limitations make it somewhat more difficult to produce them.

Good luck with your decision,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

If you want a DSLR only for video only definitely go with the GH2.. However if you want a camera that does great video and great stills then go with the Canon. However I would recommend either the 60d or the t3i simply because of the articulating screen and the biggest reason is magic lantern.. Magic lantern will make your switch to a DSLR for video much much easier with feature like zebras, focus peaking, audio meters and much more.. Magic lantern is the one thing that keeps me from switching to panasonic.. Its truly amazing and its free but I would recommend making a donation to the programmers.. Magic Lantern cannot be used with the 7d but can be used with the 5d mark2, t2i/t3i, 60d.

Also if you are going to be getting a DSLR I would recommend waiting for the new cameras that should be coming out soon. The t4i is actually late, should've been announced a couple of months ago. We should be expecting the GH3 as well and maybe the Canon 7d mark ii or 70d... Good luck..
Jay Corcuera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #5
Major Player

A lot of those GH2/7D Tests seem to be have engineered specifically to set up the 7D in situations where its shortcomings are highlighted. I've been using a Canon DSLR for quite a while and have never once got those kinds of results.

I have also used the GH2 on a number of shoots, and was not impressed with some of its 'jello' effects, nor did I like its low light performance, its reduced narrow DOF (when compared to APS and FF sized sensors) its crop factor (when using Nikkor lenses which have worked better with 35mm adapters and Canon DSLR's), or its flimsy build quality and lack of weatherproofing (compared to the 7D and 5D).

However, all of those perceived 'shortcomings' of the GH2 were easily planned for and worked around, and the camera worked just fine, and no complaints. The same of course could be said for the 7D or T3; you just work around the perceived shortcomings and get on with the job.

One more point to take into consideration. The Canon DSLR's were revolutionary because they allowed users to get that shallow DOF look that was difficult to achieve with smaller sensors. But the Canons also had a certain dreamy look right out of the camera that was probably in part due to the soft image they produced.

Sharp HD images are easily attained with consumer camcorders; my old Canon HDV camcorder produces sharper images than most DSLRs. But do you want a DSLR to make a sharp image? The GH2 image is definitely sharper than the 7D, but it seems to lack the 'mojo' that the Canon look has. Something to consider.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Major Player

also you said you want a flat image to color grade. Canon DSLR have many many flat picture style available and Technicolor Cinestyle is the flattest of them all.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD