Canon 60D quality on vimeo? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon 60D quality on vimeo?

Hi

Is it just me or do a lot of videos shot using the Canon 60D often look a little crappy on vimeo? Only reason I ask is cause I'm in the 60D group and there are more videos with bad quality rather than good.

On the other hand, when I look at videos shot with the 7D which supposedly has the same sensor the videos look a lot better?

Any ideas? I'm going to guess its down to what settings the camera were on/how it was exported?
Ben Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Canon 60D quality on vimeo?

Yes 60d/t3i/t2i/7d have the same IQ since they all use the same sensor.. Editing/grading/export settings have a lot to do with the quality of the video.. You also have to look at who's more like to have the cameras.. With the 7ds you'll probably have more professionals who use them while the 60ds market would be more of the semi pros.. So it all depends who is behind the camera!
Jay Corcuera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for clearing that up!
Ben Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:14 AM   #4
Major Player

Have you got any examples? (I have no friends so I'm not in any groups :(

It's probably true that the 7D attracts more particular people. It still has an odd mystique about it where people insist it's second only to the 5DII. Well, in photography yes; in video, no. If you want to shoot video on a DSLR (cheaply) you should probably get a 60D as it has those extra few video oriented features (well, you probably want a GH2, or a 600D with magic lantern would do you as well). A lot of people jumped on the 7D for video when it came along. A lot more elaborate projects have been finished in the couple of extra years it's been around. That makes a difference in what the average is, as mentioned.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Major Player

It's all about the person behind the camera. I seen people with t2i that done better work than people with 7d or even 5d mark 2.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Lenses are an option too. Using a >$2k camera with a $20 lens will probably yield worse results than a $500 camera with a $1000 lens. Numbers are obviously exaggerated, but lenses are just as important as the camera body
Old May 10th, 2012, 04:28 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Ben,

From my neck of the woods Birmingham.

Firstly 60d and 7D produce same image res and i have tested them before same results. Only difference it has to dual processors allowing 720p out and better build quality.

Settings export using best settings h264 is a delivery format shame it records in it. People use pro ress to export because of it being 10 bit 422 not much difference on the web.

Make sure you set it 1280x1080 in compression because if you go to 1920x1080 vimeo makes it 1280 anyway.

Quality wise all depends on whats in front of your body. (Lens) 18-55 lens is rubbish very soft and has terrible falloff. even some of the larger cine lenses such as master primes shot WO are soft. However sharpness comes at a price.

Good Luck email me if you need more info
Ollie Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Lau View Post
Lenses are an option too. Using a >$2k camera with a $20 lens will probably yield worse results than a $500 camera with a $1000 lens. Numbers are obviously exaggerated, but lenses are just as important as the camera body
sorry but there are any number of cheap vintage lenses, even EF ones that make very nice images. this is especially true once you stop them down a bit. the price of a lens has little bearing on its image quality.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD