DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   New EOS 7D Firmware now available (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/509838-new-eos-7d-firmware-now-available.html)

Mark Dobson August 7th, 2012 03:55 AM

New EOS 7D Firmware now available

So here it is!

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS 7D

Mountain Lion version wasn't downloading when I tried but the Lion version works fine. After all all you are downloading is a zip folder.

Full instructions included.

So at long, long, last we have control over the audio input.

And that's about it for us 7D filmmakers.

All the other updates are stills related.

Mat Thompson August 7th, 2012 05:29 AM

Re: New EOS 7D Firmware now available

Just done the update.

Am I just being dull but I can't seem to get levels on screen only in the menu!

Anyone ?

Mark Dobson August 7th, 2012 06:48 AM

Hi Mat,

Don't think you can get levels on screen. I think the idea is that you preset your levels because you can't change them during recording.

That's unless I'm also being dull!

Ron Little August 7th, 2012 10:41 AM

I did the update. Now I have banding in the image. Does anyone else have banding? Can you go back to the other firmware?

Andy Wilkinson August 7th, 2012 11:44 AM

Ron. Not sure if you can go back or not as I've not read all the blurb on the install instructions yet (I always wait a week or two to see if there are any bug reports before upgrading anything!). If you can't then I have a suggestion. Maybe try and download the firmware again and do a completely fresh re-install (i.e. over the version you installed today) just in case you got a corruption in the file first time around. Might be worth a try?

Ciprian Ganciulescu August 8th, 2012 06:40 AM

Hi guys,
Did the update also banding, and the camera feels slugish, maybe it's just me. Overall the banding isn't visible but noticeable in dark areas of the pictures.

Andy Wilkinson August 8th, 2012 06:50 AM

So we now have 2 separate reports of a problem with banding.... I have read (on another video forum) that some have installed the new firmware update without seeing any problems (at least not yet).

I wonder what's going on? Canon will have thoroughly tested this firmware before release (I would imagine!) so this is a little concerning.

Ron and Ciprian, thanks for sharing the information. I suggest you contact Canon to inform them of your findings.

Ron Little August 8th, 2012 07:55 AM

OK, I have shot some test footage and opened it in Premiere and the banding does not appear in the recorded footage. More testing on my part is in order.

Luc Novovitch August 8th, 2012 10:04 AM

So how did you check the first time before reporting banding? On your camera screen? Or on a srcreen which is part of your rig? If it's the case it may have to do with how the camera displays the clip on its screen or to a screen linked to the camera, but in fact the clip is just fine.

L

Ron Little August 8th, 2012 10:56 AM

There was no checking. After I loaded the firmware you could see the banding on the LCD. You could see it when you tilt the camera up and down.

Ciprian Ganciulescu August 8th, 2012 12:30 PM

So Ron, did you or did you not see banding, because i don't understand from your last two posts. For me banding appears on the Cinestyle only, in the others is almost unnoticeable, maybe it has something to do with the Cinestyle's low contrast.

Also another thingy', it seems that I can't use the Auto ISO function in movie mode, or maybe I got it wrong in the first place about using it in movie mode, for photos it's fine.

Ron Little August 8th, 2012 02:41 PM

Yes, the banding shows up on the LCD but not on the recorded image. There was no banding on the LCD before the update. As long as It is only on the LCD I am cool.

Ron Little August 8th, 2012 03:52 PM

I just checked it again and the banding is clearly there on the LCD. I do not see it on the recorded footage. I will have to shoot and test some more before I will feel confident enough to use it on a paying job.

Michael Sims August 8th, 2012 06:04 PM

Did mine today. Couldn't have been easier.

Daniel Epstein August 8th, 2012 06:17 PM

Ron,
Do you have any special settings in use for your on camera monitor? What Video settings are you using?