ML Settings for flicker-free fluorescents, VFD's, and CRT's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old February 4th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Major Player

ML Settings for flicker-free fluorescents, VFD's, and CRT's

I have been experimenting trying to get rid of fluorescent flicker/banding as well as flicker in VFD's (vacuum fluorescent displays such as VCR displays), and CRT screens. Basically how to shoot to eliminate these effects BEFORE post, for an upcoming field guide for T2i/T3i/60D (550D/650D/60D) and Magic Lantern unified release, which allows fine tuning of shutter speeds and angles.

I have been working on an e-book (which will be free) that deals with technical difficulties shooting with DSLR's and how to shoot properly, such as banding/flickering as well as other CMOS issues, HDR filming and a brief synopsis on editing HDR from a DSLR. If there is any interest i will post the settings i have used, as well as test footage, for NTSC and PAL formats here, and a link to the e-book when it comes out.

I spent a good month torturing myself, shooting under only consumer fluorescent lights, filming two VFD's and a CRT television until i got it JUST right at two framerates for PAL and NTSC. Though there are workarounds to fluorescents (like using HMI, LED, or tungsten lights), CRT and VFD screens are still an issue, and not everyone has a stack of cash to burn on lighting.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: ML Settings for flicker-free fluorescents, VFD's, and CRT's

I found this post a little late but I would definitely be interested in what you found to minimize the banding from fluorescent lighting. One of the places that I shoot at on a regular basis uses fluorescent lighting and every time I try to crank up the shutter the banding occurs. I would love to be able to reach a shutter speed over 160 without the banding and changing the lighting is not an option.

Thanks!
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD