T2i recording has "been stopped automatically" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old July 17th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #1
New Boot

T2i recording has "been stopped automatically"

First post. I've already learned enough to invest in this camera and in a good card. I've had the camera three weeks now. For the past week, I'm getting the "recording has been stopped automatically" error about every eight or nine clips. My confusion is that I bought a high end card (ProMaster class 10, 32gb) which I thought was supposed to avoid this issue. Is it still most likely the card's fault? Could it be an issue with the camera itself? Thanks.
Brute Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #2
Major Player

you know it stops after 12minutes (=4GB) of continuous recording, right?
I am not exactly following when you said "about every eight or nine clips"?
how do you count "clips"?
please specify more, so we can help you.

JJ
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #3
New Boot

It's definitely not making it to the limit. It stops randomly anywhere from 5 seconds to a minute into the recording. I'll see the buffering gauge and the recording stops. It won't happen again for a few clips, but inevitably comes back. I'm probably just going to take the card back. Would it have anything to do with the fact that it's 32gb? Or that it's ProMaster?
Old July 17th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Take the card back, its not cutting it. Get a Sandisk or Transcend. I have been using Transcend class 6 and more lately class 10 cards in my EX1 for a year, and more recently in my 550D, they have never missed a beat. The class 10 are also about the same price as class 6.
Old July 17th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Tourist

A lot of people suggest to just stick to 8gb cards to prevent over-heating.
Shayne Tremblay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #6
Major Player

That happened to me also with Delkin 16 and 32 GB card, after recording few minutes only then it works fine after that, I just turned it off wait a few minutes and back shooting again.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Tremblay View Post
A lot of people suggest to just stick to 8gb cards to prevent over-heating.
The size of the card wont make an ounce of difference to overheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh View Post
That happened to me also with Delkin 16 and 32 GB card, after recording few minutes only then it works fine after that, I just turned it off wait a few minutes and back shooting again.
But that shouldn't happen, its another case of the card not being up to the job. A good card will record one continous clip, right up to the 12 minute limit, if you have to stop and start every few minutes the card is clearly not up to it.
Old July 17th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #8
Major Player

Colin, there is nothing wrong with the card, It is a class 6 Delkin card, I used it many times with no problems, but every once in a while the camera just shuts down with no reason at all.
I do have the battery grip to help with the overheating problem, but I don't think that really made any difference, the camera does overheat often especially when you shoot at 60fps.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Trustee

Delkin is not a "first class" media, rather in the "bargain" media class.

SanDisk, while not very "bargain" priced does seem to give value performance. While Transcend is not as bad and many swear "by" it as having delivered trouble free performance, I've seen just enough in the way of "tales of woe" from these that cause me to avoid it.

I see the least amount of complaints of card failure or card error from SanDisk so that's all I trust now.

I pay the price and roll on.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #10
New Boot

So where does ProMaster fit in to the spectrum? It's the only 32gb stocked locally (and I leave on a trip in 10 days), and they'll likely just offer me an identical replacement. Should I accept it, or should I order the SanDisk ASAP?
Old July 18th, 2010, 06:25 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
Delkin is not a "first class" media, rather in the "bargain" media class.

SanDisk, while not very "bargain" priced does seem to give value performance. While Transcend is not as bad and many swear "by" it as having delivered trouble free performance, I've seen just enough in the way of "tales of woe" from these that cause me to avoid it.

I see the least amount of complaints of card failure or card error from SanDisk so that's all I trust now.

I pay the price and roll on.
Exactly, Trust to the better known, proven brands. As I have said many times before, find a card that you find reliable, and stick with it. Promaster is being touted by a few outlets, over Sandisk, Transcend etc, but those selling it often dont have a clue on the requirments of a card being used to record video. I had never heard of Promaster until I read another thread on it a few weeks ago. It may be a fine card, but not one I would trust in my cams.
Old July 18th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #12
Major Player

I have a Toshiba 4Gb SDHC card which works perfectly, yet it cost twice ($100) as other card I have of 16Gb ($50). Both are class 6 yet the 16Gb cannot handle the T2i's video recording bitrate; but good for pictures and other less intensive works.

It is possible that these manufacturers are not really lying "per se". They are probably measuring the sustained speeds at different time lengths so you see how two class 6 cards could sustain their rated speed for longer or shorter time, thus making them both to pass the rating yet in real life behave differently.

I am not going to search now but perhaps there is a minimum time such card has to sustain certain speed to be rated class 6.

In the end you get what you pay for.
Old July 20th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #13
Major Player

Another vote for the SanDisk cards. I've got 8Gb Class 10's and one (gasp!) Class 4 SanDisk 8Gb that run just fine recording video in my T2i.

Don't skimp on the cards!!! It's only the part that's saving your video, right? :)
Bryan Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 05:46 AM   #14
Tourist

yikes

i just had this message too - totally out of the blue. Luckily I was just fiddling around and wasn't on a job. It happened on my 16gb Sandisk extreme class 10 card (totally legit), so it's definitely not a crappy card issue. It appear about 3 seconds into recording - never happened before (thats from extensive field use), hope it doesn't happen again!

Does anyone know the actual reason why it does this?
Eiji Iwakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute Wolf View Post
So where does ProMaster fit in to the spectrum? It's the only 32gb stocked locally (and I leave on a trip in 10 days), and they'll likely just offer me an identical replacement. Should I accept it, or should I order the SanDisk ASAP?
ProMaster is rebranded if i am not mistaken. the only brand ive used for video problem free is SanDisk cards, not to say certain brand cards of certain size and speeds dont work, but all the sandisks ive tested, SD and CF, work fine.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD