Canon 50mm 1.2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 1st, 2009, 12:43 PM   #16
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier Plagaro View Post
Is there a way to correct this distortions in post??

A couple of weeks ago I saw some pictures taken with a digital Leica and a Leica lens, there was one of a bed and the bed was so fully undistorted that I couldn't believe it!!! Pretty sad thing to be touched by! ;-DD
The camera built-in correction for stills is not used for video. However I assume any good pp software can fix it.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 12:43 PM   #17
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Camas, WA, USA
Posts: 5,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier Plagaro View Post
Is there a way to correct this distortions in post??
Correcting barrel distortion for photos isn't bad, but would be time consuming in post for video. The exact method depends on the NLE.

Here's an example of the 50/1.4 on a portrait aspect photo
__________________
Jon Fairhurst
Jon Fairhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 07:16 PM   #18
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dyle View Post
Is this lens overkill for video? I can get the regular 50mm 1.4 less than $500, but I wanted some opinions first.
I've owned all the Canon 50mm primes. First the 50mm 1.8, then the 1.4, then I returned that for the 1.2. I love, Love, LOVE the 50 1.2. My favorite lens by far!

The 50 1.8 is great for the price but it doesn't have a standard focus ring (cannot use it with my follow focus gears). The 50 1.4 has a zoom ring but feels a bit sloppy. The 1.2 offers better IQ and incredible bokeh, not to mention the great dampening on the focus.

Here are some video stills from a recent wedding I shot with the 50 1.2L:











__________________
Glen Elliott
Cord 3 Films
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:29 AM   #19
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 90
Greater than wonderful!!! ;-DD
Xavier Plagaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:33 AM   #20
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 410
Glen,

The stills from the video footage look great. How often do you find yourself shooting video at 1.2? It seems like getting the focus right would be difficult.
I have only had the chance to use the camera at 1 wedding so far. I was able to get the camera about two weeks ago. I don't even think I've taken pictures with all of the lenses I have so far.
My main concern is about pulling focus. I have a Varizoom 7" monitor that I plan on attaching to my rails for now. Its only 800x480, but I think it will do the trick. I was told that while you are recording, the camera outputs SD video, so anything higher wouldn't matter.
I was able to pick up a used 24mm 1.4 yesterday and from your pics, I'll probably go ahead and get the 50mm 1.2. I really appreciate all the help on this forum!

Last edited by Chad Dyle; July 2nd, 2009 at 07:04 AM.
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:25 PM   #21
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Zanesville OH
Posts: 205
I own the 50mm 1.4 lens. In all honesty, if you're deciding whether or not to buy the 1.4, or 1.2, go with the 1.2. You might as well go all out. The 1.4 is such a great lens. Probably the best feature about the 5fmii is the ability to create a super, super shallow depth of field that filmmakers covet, and been trying to create using 35mm adapters for so long... so yeah, man... go with the 1.2 and get that shallow depth of field going. The 1.2 is gonna be my next purchase. what's an extra 600 bucks or so? it'll make itself back in no time.
__________________
"Warriors... Come out to play..."
www.importexporthd.com
Douglas Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:31 PM   #22
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Joseph View Post
I own the 50mm 1.4 lens. In all honesty, if you're deciding whether or not to buy the 1.4, or 1.2, go with the 1.2. You might as well go all out. The 1.4 is such a great lens. Probably the best feature about the 5fmii is the ability to create a super, super shallow depth of field that filmmakers covet, and been trying to create using 35mm adapters for so long... so yeah, man... go with the 1.2 and get that shallow depth of field going. The 1.2 is gonna be my next purchase. what's an extra 600 bucks or so? it'll make itself back in no time.
Can you actually see the difference? 1.2 and 1.4 are a small fraction of a stop apart.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:42 PM   #23
Trustee
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 1,961
"Here are some video stills from a recent wedding I shot with the 50 1.2L"

It's hard to believe those are video stills. HDV is useless for video stills but these look nice and they are downsampled. I know 1080p stills are not suitable for print, but who prints anymore?. I think 2 megapixel stills from 5DII video can make great digital snapshots that might even stand the test of time even though computer monitors will likely increase in resolution tremendously in the next several years.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:41 PM   #24
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
I've owned all the Canon 50mm primes. First the 50mm 1.8, then the 1.4, then I returned that for the 1.2. I love, Love, LOVE the 50 1.2. My favorite lens by far!

The 50 1.8 is great for the price but it doesn't have a standard focus ring (cannot use it with my follow focus gears). The 50 1.4 has a zoom ring but feels a bit sloppy. The 1.2 offers better IQ and incredible bokeh, not to mention the great dampening on the focus.

Here are some video stills from a recent wedding I shot with the 50 1.2L:











What shutter speed were you using? There is very little motion blur, much less than you'd see with 1/50 or other normal video.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 01:13 AM   #25
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Posts: 3,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hahn View Post
Can you actually see the difference? 1.2 and 1.4 are a small fraction of a stop apart.
No they are not just a small fraction apart. F-stops are a logarithmic scale with each full stop representing a halving (increasing F number) or doubling (decreasing F number) of the light intensity from the previous stop. This is the scale in full stops - F/1, F/1.4, F/2, F/2.8, F/4, F/5.6, F/8, F/11, F/16, F/22, F/32 etc

Going from F1.4 to F1.2 is a half stop i.e. 50% more light is let through.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:52 PM   #26
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Joseph View Post
In all honesty, if you're deciding whether or not to buy the 1.4, or 1.2, go with the 1.2. You might as well go all out.
Well, if you're really going to go all out, why stop at f/1.2? I'm sure you could track down a canon f/.95... now that's shallow DOF!
__________________
My latest short documentary: "Four Pauls: Bring the Hat Back!"
Evan Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 01:18 PM   #27
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
No they are not just a small fraction apart. F-stops are a logarithmic scale with each full stop representing a halving (increasing F number) or doubling (decreasing F number) of the light intensity from the previous stop. This is the scale in full stops - F/1, F/1.4, F/2, F/2.8, F/4, F/5.6, F/8, F/11, F/16, F/22, F/32 etc

Going from F1.4 to F1.2 is a half stop i.e. 50% more light is let through.
I understand that. I was wrong when I said a small fraction. It is actually somewhat less than a half stop.

Using 50mm and f1.4 the dof for a 10 foot distance is 1 foot. Changing it to f 1.2 changes the DOF to 0.86 feet. No one will notice that.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #28
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 410
I decided to buy the 50mm 1.2 and I was able to use it yesterday. I have to say that it is awesome in low light. The dof at 1.2 is pretty narrow though. It seems like a trade off that I'm willing to deal with though.

I love using the 5D, but my only problem right now is pulling focus (with any lens). The focus looks good on the camera, but later it isn't as sharp as I had thought. I have the Zacuto Z-finder coming in August, but I'm considering buying a small LCD to attach to the rig. I have an older Varizoom 7" (840x400), but it isn't that sharp. I was looking at a smaller Ikan monitor instead.
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #29
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Billericay, England UK
Posts: 4,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mueller View Post
Don't have any experience with the 1.2, but I do own the 1.4 and it is an amazing lens!
The original lens tests on the f/1.2 showed that it had been designed specifically to use that fast aperture, and that on stopping down the slower f/1.4 and f/1.8 performed rather better, the latter even more so. If you intend to shoot wide open, go for it. If you'd like more apertures to play with and don't mind working in 50% more light, get the f/1.4.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #30
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wildwood Crest, NJ
Posts: 140
1.2 alllll the way.It's my absolute favorite lens.I've owned the 1.4 version and it's not even close.The 1.2 is tack sharp wide open and you can pretty much shoot in the dark.....seriously:)
__________________
www.rhmphotography.com What you talkin bout Willis?
Ryan Morey is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:26 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network