cheap shoulder rig at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 24th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #1
New Boot

cheap shoulder rig

I am a pure amateur at video, having bought the 5D for my still photography, but the quality of the images for "home movies" was so great that I got hooked. I bought the Hoodman Hoodloupe and modified it with the Chinese folding viewfinder bracket and added a Rode Videomic . But I needed an inexpensive way to increase the stability. I bought this shoulder mount off ebay for $35:

Video Camera/Camcorder Hands-Free Pad Shoulder Support - eBay (item 300331183706 end time Jul-24-09 17:28:19 PDT)

I put an arca swiss style quick release plate on, and I modified it with a simple flat aluminum bar and a handle for added control. You can adjust the two arms to get the viewfinder right where you want it. What's also nice is that the chest support holds the camera when I am not shooting, but I can lift if off with the handle when needed. I don't use the strap that came with it.

Here are some pics:

Bob Gates Photography- powered by SmugMug

Bob Gates
Bob Gates Photography- powered by SmugMug
Bob Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Looks like it's made from plastic? Should we trust the durability of the construction? Would hate to have the camera snap off and fall down...

Also, doesn't the whole rig move up and down with each breath you take?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #3
New Boot

Yes, plastic, but very beefy and well made. The knobs to tighten are large and easy to tighten down, and the bolts are very sturdy too. This is not going to come apart.

As I said, I lift it off my chest with the handle, which helps with the breathing problem. You can adjust the stomach support, which helps raise or lower the unit, and can have it on your chest rather than your stomach, which also reduces the movement from breathing. I find I can get really steady footage (not walking or moving around, which is a skill I haven't mastered yet).

I would love to be able to afford a Redrock or Zacuto rig, but I really have no money for video equipment, and this works well for my needs.

Last edited by Bob Gates; July 24th, 2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old July 24th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Bob, it does not matter cheap or expensive as long as you feel comfortable with it and can take nice shots.
I have a very similar thingy among my more pro accessories and for certain situations I use it. Just like the Spiderbrace which is not considered serious by many, yet for me it is the best light travel rig so far.
Dont worry, take good shots and have fun!
Old July 24th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Zsolt, I am having fun! I just looked up the Spiderbrace, and if I had known about it I might have tried that first.
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:00 AM   #6
Tourist

VZ 1Shooter

Try the VZ 1Shooter, and you can buy it cheaper elsewhere: VariZoom Camera Stabilizers & Supports, monitors, Zoom controls, Camera Stabilizers & Supports, Batteries, Monitor Kits Phone:512-219-7722
Steve Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #7
New Boot

I've been using one of these professionally for years, including with the 5D2.

The main part of the rig has been flawless, but I did have the extension brackets break off while holding a PD150. Luckily, I was also holding the camera at the time. But I wouldn't trust them for a second.

I mount the 5D on a quick release straight to the main rig, without the extension brackets. Much more solid that way.
Old August 4th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The main beam of the VZ 1Shooter looks pretty low.

I made my own rig from aluminum. Measured from the bottom of the part that goes over my shoulder, I have the camera raised 7-inches with a 3-inch offset to the left. Using the Hoodloupe, I can stand upright with my head in a neutral position, and my eye lines up just right.

My rig isn't very adjustable, but I don't plan for my neck and shoulders to change shape for another couple of decades at least! :)
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Jon's Right. Make your own. Here are examples of some I have made, some with footage.

YouTube - My Rig by Chris Barcellos

YouTube - Prototype Shoulder Brace For Canon 5D Mark II

Handheld With the Canon 5D Mark II on Vimeo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD