DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   cheap shoulder rig (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/239665-cheap-shoulder-rig.html)

Bob Gates July 24th, 2009 01:21 PM

cheap shoulder rig

I am a pure amateur at video, having bought the 5D for my still photography, but the quality of the images for "home movies" was so great that I got hooked. I bought the Hoodman Hoodloupe and modified it with the Chinese folding viewfinder bracket and added a Rode Videomic . But I needed an inexpensive way to increase the stability. I bought this shoulder mount off ebay for $35:

Video Camera/Camcorder Hands-Free Pad Shoulder Support - eBay (item 300331183706 end time Jul-24-09 17:28:19 PDT)

I put an arca swiss style quick release plate on, and I modified it with a simple flat aluminum bar and a handle for added control. You can adjust the two arms to get the viewfinder right where you want it. What's also nice is that the chest support holds the camera when I am not shooting, but I can lift if off with the handle when needed. I don't use the strap that came with it.

Here are some pics:

Bob Gates Photography- powered by SmugMug

Bob Gates
Bob Gates Photography- powered by SmugMug

Yang Wen July 24th, 2009 01:38 PM

Looks like it's made from plastic? Should we trust the durability of the construction? Would hate to have the camera snap off and fall down...

Also, doesn't the whole rig move up and down with each breath you take?

Bob Gates July 24th, 2009 01:47 PM

Yes, plastic, but very beefy and well made. The knobs to tighten are large and easy to tighten down, and the bolts are very sturdy too. This is not going to come apart.

As I said, I lift it off my chest with the handle, which helps with the breathing problem. You can adjust the stomach support, which helps raise or lower the unit, and can have it on your chest rather than your stomach, which also reduces the movement from breathing. I find I can get really steady footage (not walking or moving around, which is a skill I haven't mastered yet).

I would love to be able to afford a Redrock or Zacuto rig, but I really have no money for video equipment, and this works well for my needs.

Zsolt Gordos July 24th, 2009 02:39 PM

Bob, it does not matter cheap or expensive as long as you feel comfortable with it and can take nice shots.
I have a very similar thingy among my more pro accessories and for certain situations I use it. Just like the Spiderbrace which is not considered serious by many, yet for me it is the best light travel rig so far.
Dont worry, take good shots and have fun!

Bob Gates July 24th, 2009 03:09 PM

Thanks Zsolt, I am having fun! I just looked up the Spiderbrace, and if I had known about it I might have tried that first.

Steve Wolf August 1st, 2009 11:00 AM

VZ 1Shooter

Try the VZ 1Shooter, and you can buy it cheaper elsewhere: VariZoom Camera Stabilizers & Supports, monitors, Zoom controls, Camera Stabilizers & Supports, Batteries, Monitor Kits Phone:512-219-7722

Peter Jordan August 4th, 2009 10:51 PM

I've been using one of these professionally for years, including with the 5D2.

The main part of the rig has been flawless, but I did have the extension brackets break off while holding a PD150. Luckily, I was also holding the camera at the time. But I wouldn't trust them for a second.

I mount the 5D on a quick release straight to the main rig, without the extension brackets. Much more solid that way.

Jon Fairhurst August 4th, 2009 11:19 PM

The main beam of the VZ 1Shooter looks pretty low.

I made my own rig from aluminum. Measured from the bottom of the part that goes over my shoulder, I have the camera raised 7-inches with a 3-inch offset to the left. Using the Hoodloupe, I can stand upright with my head in a neutral position, and my eye lines up just right.

My rig isn't very adjustable, but I don't plan for my neck and shoulders to change shape for another couple of decades at least! :)

Chris Barcellos August 5th, 2009 01:04 AM

Jon's Right. Make your own. Here are examples of some I have made, some with footage.

YouTube - My Rig by Chris Barcellos

YouTube - Prototype Shoulder Brace For Canon 5D Mark II

Handheld With the Canon 5D Mark II on Vimeo