Audio: In-camera ML + Juicedlink or External? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 29th, 2009, 02:03 AM   #16
Major Player

Peter,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I think you are going the right direction with the Juicedlink, it plays very well with Magic Lantern and pretty much any decent mic. If you want to add a separate recorder later then it will really help there too, in fact I've just been running some tests with the Juicedlink feeding my Sony PCM-D50 instead of the camera and the results are very good indeed, basically the best I can get, clean phantom power with XLRs, great preamps, and the dynamic clipping function of the Sony recorder and proper knobs instead of push buttons like the Zoom.

One other trick for the future, If you only recording mono then a radio mic linking a 5DmkII running ML and an audio recorder (or recorder + juicedlink) gives really nice in camera sound for a guide track (even as the main track if there are no interference issues). Alternatively you can run a recorder radio linked to an on camera Juicedlink on one XLR and feed the other XLR with a top mic for backup. The combinations are endless.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
One possibility is to split the mic cable to feed both the left and right channels, and run one channel with a lower gain as a safety channel. No mixing is needed at all then. (Though you will want to be able to turn down the headphone monitor to reduce blasts.) It would be cool to pad one of the headphone channels to rebalance the audio.
Jon, have you tried this? This sounds like a great idea in theory. I know I have an XLR-splitter around here somewhere...
Peter Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
One other trick for the future, If you only recording mono then a radio mic linking a 5DmkII running ML and an audio recorder (or recorder + juicedlink) gives really nice in camera sound for a guide track (even as the main track if there are no interference issues). Alternatively you can run a recorder radio linked to an on camera Juicedlink on one XLR and feed the other XLR with a top mic for backup. The combinations are endless.
Thanks for the update, Dan! These are great ideas. It would be great if you could untether things and still get quality in-camera sound.
Peter Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 03:36 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
One other trick for the future, If you only recording mono then a radio mic linking a 5DmkII running ML and an audio recorder (or recorder + juicedlink) gives really nice in camera sound for a guide track (even as the main track if there are no interference issues).
This is a great idea, as it would eliminate the problem of on-set playback not having the high quality audio, and would even be good enough for NLE editing with everything synched up -- then the separate-system sound could be dropped in for a final mix.

Anyone have any particular radio equipment suggestions for doing this?

Also, Jon Fairhurst, I've been following your audio tests on vimeo -- great and very helpful stuff. Any ETA on the "Conclusion?"
Ryan Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 12:35 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Koo View Post
Also, Jon Fairhurst, I've been following your audio tests on vimeo -- great and very helpful stuff. Any ETA on the "Conclusion?"
Hi Ryan,

I plan to re-shoot tonight. I shot it once and changed the script. I shot it again, but had a computer on 20+ feet away and didn't think it would be a problem. Hearing the audio, I didn't think it was up to snuff, so it's time for take three!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD