nooby needs advice on editing 5D2 videos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 21st, 2009, 09:08 AM   #1
New Boot

nooby needs advice on editing 5D2 videos

i'm a (still) photographer. i loves my 5D2 for its still photography capabilities.

but, as much as i DREAD editing video, alas, i recently got bitten by the youtube bug.

so, what is the most PAINLESS way for a nooby to do SIMPLE edits on 5D2 video files? ("simple" = titles front and back, deletion of frames where someone walked in front of the camera while recording on the street, and dubbing over the street noise with music.)

i've already downloaded the Neoscene trial version, and converted my .MOV files to .avi. apparently, this means i still have to get editing software to edit the .avi files. (at $129 for the full version of Neoscene, this doesn't seem like a very efficient route to take.)

would i lose HD with Windows Moviemaker? (i've read that HD is lost with Adobe Elements, and i'd like to preserve it.)

don't laugh, but would Canon DPP be any help? (okay, laugh -- but please answer anyway!)
Gaetano Catelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:22 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Take a look at the Sony Vegas line of NLEs. I think most of them handle HD these days, but take a look at the specs and see which one makes the most sense for you.

One of the strengths of Vegas is that is follows Windows conventions very closely, so all those things that you do in Word, like right clicking, tends to behave as you expect in Vegas.

I use Vegas Pro and NeoScene, and they work well, even on my outdated computer.
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I use Vegas Pro and NeoScene, and they work well, even on my outdated computer.
Also Premiere Elements works well with NeoScene and it is a very simple editor, easy to learn.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Vegas and Neo Scene work wonders together. Not sure how Vegas "Movie Studio" does with Neoscene, but if it works with it, it is a more inexpensive entry point to see if you like the Vegas GUI. At BH Photo, you can get into Movie Studio for $ 70.

If you go Elements, you will be entering the Adobe GUI. I happen to feel it is a more restictive editing environment, but others love Adobe's approach.
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:18 AM   #5
New Boot

No laugh here but for a short clip (good enough for youtube) and simple edit why don't just try Zoombrowser EX (ver 6.3) came with your camera, before plunge $$ for other editing SW. If you computer can handle DPP or Lightroom it should be OK for Zoombrowser EX and your HD raw clips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaetano Catelli View Post
i'm a (still) photographer. i loves my 5D2 for its still photography capabilities.

so, what is the most PAINLESS way for a nooby to do SIMPLE edits on 5D2 video files? ("simple" = titles front and back, deletion of frames where someone walked in front of the camera while recording on the street, and dubbing over the street noise with music.)

don't laugh, but would Canon DPP be any help? (okay, laugh -- but please answer anyway!)
Thi Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:02 PM   #6
New Boot

i'd love to use Zoombrowser, but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thi Ng View Post
No laugh here but for a short clip (good enough for youtube) and simple edit why don't just try Zoombrowser EX (ver 6.3) came with your camera,...
that would be GREAT -- but i've looked and looked and haven't found an edit function on my version (6.2.1), and haven't found a way to upgrade to 6.3 (if that's required to edit).
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:51 PM   #7
New Boot

I believed so, 6.3 has video edit feature. Has been introduced a while ago but officially on the same time Canon announces the 1.0.7 firmware upgrade. You can download 6.3.1 at same web-site of where you got the new firmware.
-TN
Quote:
that would be GREAT -- but i've looked and looked and haven't found an edit function on my version (6.2.1), and haven't found a way to upgrade to 6.3 (if that's required to edit).
Thi Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 01:40 PM   #8
New Boot

thanks, Ng

very cool, Ng. Zb EX ver 6.3 is downloaded and installed. it looks like it may be exactly the simple solution i'm looking for.
Old July 21st, 2009, 07:44 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
very cool, Ng. Zb EX ver 6.3 is downloaded and installed. it looks like it may be exactly the simple solution i'm looking for.
Gaetano,

Hope this works for you. I have ver 6.3 as well. However, I think about all you can do with the editor is shorten clips. I don't think it has much editing capability.

If you discover something else that Zoombrowzer can do, let us know.

Thanks.

Rog Lee
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:55 PM   #10
New Boot

Jon - question about your Vegas usage

Jon -- wondering if you have upgraded to Vegas 9.0 and, if so, did you find any significant differences in terms of performance or file handling with the 5D2.

Thanks!

Marc
Marc Fairorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:56 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Marc,

I'm still running version 8.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:01 AM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
... Zb EX ver 6.3 is downloaded and installed. it looks like it may be exactly the simple solution i'm looking for.
not really (:sighing:) but this looks very promising: YouTube - Optimize Youtube Videos With Virtual Dubb and Redubb Them
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:53 AM   #13
Tourist

Wmm

Quote:
would i lose HD with Windows Moviemaker?
WMM does a spectacular job creating HD. Just do a sample clip and see for yourself.
Steve Wolf is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD