5d gets pwn'd by EX1 in snowboard video (link) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 13th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #1
Inner Circle

5d gets pwn'd by EX1 in snowboard video (link)

Here's a video that shows the DSLR's have a ways to go yet before challenging the Cinealtas for low budget supremacy. YouTube - Canon 5D Mark II Vs. Sony PMW EX1
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If only the shooters knew what they were doing....
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I expected the problem to be skew. Instead, this was some of the worst stuff I've ever seen from the 5D. I'm pretty sure that they had fog between the lens and UV filter, if not on the sensor. That will kill contrast and colors immediately.

BTW, don't bother asking how I know that fog behind a UV filter will kill your image... ;)
Old September 13th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yeah, EX series may indeed produce the better pic, but something has to be amiss here. That looks like it was shot with a Nokia.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #5
Wrangler

Useless comparison. I don't know how and when it became more important to present camera tests as music videos (or even more pretentiously, "films") and make it about the editing and soundtrack instead of what really counts: in this instance, controlled, apples-to-apples duplication of the same setups as shot by both cameras.
Old September 13th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #6
Trustee

Yeah, it's the cameras. Just like it's the brand of piano for the musicians. And the type of stove or the cooks. And the brand of thread for the tailors. And the type of clippers for the landscapers. And the scalpel manufacturers for the surgeons.

You know, that viewpoint is so inarguable that I'm going to go dump all my Beatles vinyl - since it's clear that they were made on substandard instruments and limited electronics and would have been SO much better if only those guys had had better gear.

(sarcasm mode off)
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #7
Major Player

I think someone got a little confused and imported their iPhone footage.
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #8
Major Player

this video sucks. even the EX1 looks dark and flat.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #9
New Boot

hmm ... both cameras are not being done justice here. Specially the 5D!

Talk about picking a day with possibly the worst lighting to do a comparison or anything.
Brad McGiveron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #10
Contributor

What Charles said.

I didn't watch it all, but the Canon footage I saw was always a longer shot than the EX, and underexposed and out of focus. The EX wasn't much better.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Here's a video that shows the DSLR's have a ways to go yet before challenging the Cinealtas for low budget supremacy. YouTube - Canon 5D Mark II Vs. Sony PMW EX1
Ian Provo might dissagree with you.

The EX1 certainly cannot do this;
Search videos for 'ian provo' on Vimeo

and the EX1 cannot do this either;
3 candles on Vimeo

Looks like the EX1 has been well and truely superceeded by the 5D2...
Peter Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Burke View Post
Well and truly disagree, have both cams.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
You know, that viewpoint is so inarguable that I'm going to go dump all my Beatles vinyl - since it's clear that they were made on substandard instruments and limited electronics and would have been SO much better if only those guys had had better gear.
(sarcasm mode off)
Maybe it's like....

"....looking through a Glass Onion"!!
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #14
Major Player

different hammers, different jobs

Skilled cabinet makes can all use a framing hammer, some framers can use a mallet or tack hammer exquisitely. As photographers (moving image or not) we are getting some amazing tools and better hammers for different jobs these days. I would have killed for a camera capable of 3 lux (or 300 lux) a year ago - even if it was a half inch chip. Some are using these tools to amazing effect. I'm grateful to this forum for leading me to Dan Chung and his extraordinary work in China, a part (okay REALLY BIG part) of the world he illuminates every time he goes on a job. If the 5D is a better tool for him we all benefit. This camera, the EX, the 7D, Scarlet, or whatever comes next move the boundaries of what we can do in the field, and these changes are happening more quickly than ever before. I'll probably never shoot time lapse stuff like the Timescapes Inc guys, but I like knowing the techniques they've shared and now if I have the opportunity I have a whole new hammer I never knew existed in my bag of tricks. Commonly available cameras and freely shared knowledge make so much possible.
I never understood the guys driving Chevy trucks (in the US) with an image of a kid pissing on Ford. Probably a bad example, maybe no one else in the world develops allegiances to brand names - oh, wait, (or as we say here) fuggedaboutit!
We have new tools almost everyday and for those with skills ( and without skills) this is a most interesting playground.
Michelangelo used a chisel and brush, W. Eugene Smith shot in black and white, they would have envied our largess.
Stop fighting brands boys (and women) - enjoy!
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Burke View Post

Completely agree, have both;

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD