5D II and DR-100 for ENG-style Interviews at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 7th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #1
New Boot
5D II and DR-100 for ENG-style Interviews

Up until now I haven't used my 5D II for anything requiring interview audio. I had a XH A1 assigned to that function which I've now sold. The image quality of the 5D II was just too superior and I actually prefer the sold state media work flow. The audio issues have been the only concern I've had.

Am I crazy to shoot an upcoming project next week that involves a series of interviews taking place on a trade show floor using the 5D II and a Tascam DR-100? I will be on a tripod, but will be changing locations quit a bit. Will syncing audio down the road be too difficult? I'm planning on slating with a clapperboard as much as possible. The DR-100 appears to have everything I need: independent channels, dual meters, monitor out, etc. It also appears I can run a line out of the DSR-100 into the camera but I'm guessing I would need to put a pad on it to try to get it down to mic level.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Zac Williams
Zac Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #2
Telecam Films
The DR-100 sounds like a fine unit. I understand that the Zoom H4 does not allow for controlling channels gain independantly, the DR-100 does. Also, the DR-100 seems to have better power handling with both, internal Li-Ion battery or disposable AAs. There is even a feature that allows the AAs to take over if the internal Li-Ion runs out of juice. Sounds like very handy.

Thierry Humeau, DoP
TÚlÚcam Films
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD