Anamorphic Options on the 5D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 8th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Anamorphic Options on the 5D?

My boss and I were looking at some 2.3ish:1 pieces today on vimeo and wondered at the possibility of doing something like this with the 5D. What are the available options for an anamorphic adapter or is it better to simply crop in post?
Old April 8th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

From what i read it's not very easy. There are lenses, adapters and it seems like they all have vignetting under 55mm. I think that for the best and optimal results you would need a 7D PL mount modded and rent Cine anamorphic lenses.

I only read about it on another forum as i was interested in anamorphic myself and by no mean do i really know about the subject in depth.
Martin Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Well, cropping it surely is the easiest solution. With Magic Lantern you can overlay a set of cinemascope markers right on the LED, etc.
Old April 8th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #4
New Boot

Anamorphic Lens Test

This is a quick anamorphic lens Flare Test- Shot on a 550D with a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 and a Proskar Anamorphic 2X 'taped' on to the Nikkor:

<style type="text/css"> </style> <script type="text/javascript"> </script> <title>Anamorphic lens Flare Test

I just wanted to see the flare and how it could be used. I had to stop down the lens to at least f4 for a Nice flare to 'flare up'. The flare is warm. I will use this lens when I get a proper bracket for the Proskar. I will Be testing a Panasonic lens (the one for the DVX 100) soon. a reminder This is just a TEST done in my lounge room searching for the aesthetics of FLARE... and it is not the best camera work but hopefully will give some idea of the feeling.

True anamorphic lenses offer more than just a 'crop factor'. Some of us prefer watching 2:35 images- these range from aesthetic, wow factor to the way our eyesight works in viewing a landscape.

When I used to shoot super 8, I was always looking for an anamorphic lens so my images would be 16:9... I never found one. Then in DV days anamorphic lenses and adapters became a way to shoot 16:9 on a 4:3 sensor.

My prediction is that now we have the availability to shoot in HD-and on a DSLR with shallow depth of field, and a range of primes- Anamorphic lenses will make a comeback either as a true lens or as an adapter.

I crop HD on allot of projects to 2.35 because... well I like it (when appropriate) and my customers do as well. But there is a difference between cropping and using a true anamorphic lens. For me the main aesthetic difference between cropping to 2.35 and using an anamorphic lens is the flare. At the moment I am thinking of using the Proskar as an effect lens- when I want that Flare.

This is a Quick Anamorphic lens Flare Test- Shot on a 550D with a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 and a Proskar 2X. Obviously on the 550D/T2i we don't have the option of Magic Lantern crop marks:-(

The Proskar gives a very warm flare. There are some purples.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Janssen

Last edited by Janssen Herr; April 8th, 2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
Janssen Herr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD