DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Codec question of the day (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/498959-codec-question-day.html)

John Owen July 28th, 2011 07:47 AM

Codec question of the day

Everyone uses Prores as a Proxy Codec after shooting in H.264 since FCP can't edit DSLR footage natively, right? But, after locking an edit, is it just as good to transcode back to H.264 as the codec for the master? At present, I keep all masters in Prores, but could save a lot of space by converting all to H.264.

More broadly, is it humanly possible for a film to look better in a codec that it wasn't shot in (i.e prores)?
CLARITY PLEASE.

Bill Pryor July 28th, 2011 08:52 AM

Re: Codec question of the day

It won't look better but if you transcode to ProRes, allegedly it won't deteriorate when you start laying on effects. If you do a side-by-side comparison you'll see that after transcoding to ProRes, you probably won't be able to tell the difference from your original. Assuming you're using the HQ.
I'm in the process of switching from FCP to Premiere Pro, and it uses the original H.264 files, allegedly with no degradation from normal color grading, which is all I do. Not having to transcode saves a ton of space and time.

Justin Molush July 28th, 2011 09:13 AM

I drag and drop DSLR footage into my FCP7 timeline all day.

You sure everything is up to date?

John Owen July 28th, 2011 09:52 AM

Bill - Thanks for that. Yes, I'm consdering the switch also, especially after the release of FCP X which seems to have caused so much outrage.

Justin: Really? And it edits ok? Not sure that I'm fully updated - but I was fairly sure you have to render H.264 in an FCP timeline or it won't edit right.

Justin Molush July 28th, 2011 10:05 AM

Oh, I thought you meant you couldn't even get it in the timeline at all...

Change your timeline settings to whatever the footage is. Make sure your compressor is H.264 and it should work. I just dragged some 1080/30p footage into a timeline, let it change the settings, and it plays back without render. There is a grey bar above it and it plays back when I hit space bar.

P.S. This is 7D footage, but Im sure the codec/compression is all the same.

Bill Pryor July 28th, 2011 07:50 PM

Even my new 8 core Mac Pro doesn't like H.264 in the timeline. It'll play but you get a long sequence and it's a problem. But in Premiere Pro it's fine.

Peter Phelan July 29th, 2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Owen (Post 1670744)
Everyone uses Prores as a Proxy Codec after shooting in H.264 since FCP can't edit DSLR footage natively, right?

Nope ... lots of people do not use FCP or indeed Macs! .... But seriously ... take a look at converting to Cineform - Cineform Neoscene ... they do have a Mac version too :)

Peter