Codec question of the day at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 28th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Codec question of the day

Everyone uses Prores as a Proxy Codec after shooting in H.264 since FCP can't edit DSLR footage natively, right? But, after locking an edit, is it just as good to transcode back to H.264 as the codec for the master? At present, I keep all masters in Prores, but could save a lot of space by converting all to H.264.

More broadly, is it humanly possible for a film to look better in a codec that it wasn't shot in (i.e prores)?
CLARITY PLEASE.
John Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Contributor

Re: Codec question of the day

It won't look better but if you transcode to ProRes, allegedly it won't deteriorate when you start laying on effects. If you do a side-by-side comparison you'll see that after transcoding to ProRes, you probably won't be able to tell the difference from your original. Assuming you're using the HQ.
I'm in the process of switching from FCP to Premiere Pro, and it uses the original H.264 files, allegedly with no degradation from normal color grading, which is all I do. Not having to transcode saves a ton of space and time.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #3
Major Player

I drag and drop DSLR footage into my FCP7 timeline all day.

You sure everything is up to date?
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Bill - Thanks for that. Yes, I'm consdering the switch also, especially after the release of FCP X which seems to have caused so much outrage.

Justin: Really? And it edits ok? Not sure that I'm fully updated - but I was fairly sure you have to render H.264 in an FCP timeline or it won't edit right.
John Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Major Player

Oh, I thought you meant you couldn't even get it in the timeline at all...

Change your timeline settings to whatever the footage is. Make sure your compressor is H.264 and it should work. I just dragged some 1080/30p footage into a timeline, let it change the settings, and it plays back without render. There is a grey bar above it and it plays back when I hit space bar.

P.S. This is 7D footage, but Im sure the codec/compression is all the same.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #6
Contributor

Even my new 8 core Mac Pro doesn't like H.264 in the timeline. It'll play but you get a long sequence and it's a problem. But in Premiere Pro it's fine.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Owen View Post
Everyone uses Prores as a Proxy Codec after shooting in H.264 since FCP can't edit DSLR footage natively, right?
Nope ... lots of people do not use FCP or indeed Macs! .... But seriously ... take a look at converting to Cineform - Cineform Neoscene ... they do have a Mac version too :)

Peter

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD