Dead Pixels On 5D (out of warranty) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 31st, 2011, 04:20 AM   #1
New Boot

Dead Pixels On 5D (out of warranty)

Hello,

I've been shooting happily with my 5D for a couple of years, but I now have two collections of dead pixels whilst in video mode (please see attached photo)!!

The dead pixels are not immediately obvious, but once the camera has been running for more than five minutes and heated up, or been used at high ISO's they become very noticeable.

I have tried putting the camera into manual sensor clean mode to map over the pixels, but this only works in still mode.

I have found a plugin to help remove the problem in post, but believe me if you have any length of footage with any movement it is a very labour intensive process, and does not allow for a quick turnaround.

Having researched the problem it seems that a lot of people had this problem when the camera was new, and had it replaced under warranty. I am definitely out of warranty now and am looking around for options to fix the problem.

Has any one else had this problem?

Did you send it to Canon, and how much did it cost!?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Dead Pixels On 5D (out of warranty)-dead-pixels.jpg  

Last edited by George Chinn; August 31st, 2011 at 04:22 AM. Reason: picture added
George Chinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Dead Pixels On 5D (out of warranty)

On mine its only when the iso is way up. Then I use cc wire pluging to fix it (movement should not be an issue and there should not be any rotoscoping involved). Otherwise you can send it into Canon for them to replace the sensor. I thought I read it was $300-400, but I could be totally wrong. I've also read that they have a way to reset the cmos sensor in some situations and not require the chip to be replaced.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 04:39 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply, I'm just having a look a the cc wire plugin now, looks like a good fix in post.

Interesting to hear that they might be able to reset the cmos as well instead of a new sensor. Might just have to bite the bullet and send it in and see what happens!
George Chinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Major Player

There is only one sensor. If you do a manual cleaning of the sensor it will remap the offending pixels for both stills and video. Sometimes I have had to do several cleanings to get rid of off color or white (hot) pixels.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD