DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   You never hear about an issue until you have it (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/503100-you-never-hear-about-issue-until-you-have.html)

Charles Newcomb November 28th, 2011 02:48 PM

You never hear about an issue until you have it

Which is what happened to me with my 6-month-old 5D MKII.

I finished a shoot, and after downloading the footage I put the CF card back in to format it. When I did, I got an error message saying the 5D couldn't format the card. I tried another card: Same thing. Same thing on all my cards, as a matter of fact.

But the cards work fine in the computer (three Hoodman 16GB and one Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 GB).

Back to the camera: I tried taking a shot. "Card needs to be formatted," the error message read. But the camera won't format it.

So I called the store where I bought the camera. "Uh-oh," he said. "The number for Canon service is 1-800-OKCANON."

They emailed a warranty/service request.

I had never heard of this issue. But doing some searching, I found out it's fairly common.

So, $77.00 later (most of which was insurance cost), the camera arrived in Irvine, California today.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Allan Black November 28th, 2011 03:23 PM

Re: You never hear about an issue until you have it

Uh oh indeed. I'm not up with this, but if it's fairly common why hasn't Canon fixed it with an update .. doesn't appear like they're treating it as a free recall situation, maybe they should.

Hope it works out OK.

Charles Newcomb November 28th, 2011 08:54 PM

Well, they seemed very helpful and concerned on the phone. Like I said: We'll see.

Les Wilson November 28th, 2011 08:58 PM

Historically, Canon is pretty good about this kind of stuff... the handgrip on the A1 comes to mind.... Apple is even better in my experience. Let us know.

Evan Donn November 29th, 2011 12:44 AM

Had the same issue - looked into the CF slot and one of the pins was bent. Ended up being a $200 repair through Canon (plus of course shipping & insurance). Not sure how or why it happened but no problems since, although I never used the card again that it first happened on.

Charles Newcomb November 30th, 2011 06:57 PM

Apparently a bent pin wasn't the issues with mine. I just got an email saying they were "restoring factory settings" at no cost to me. I'm not sure what that means because I've never used Magic Lantern or installed any firmware updates.

Les Wilson November 30th, 2011 09:18 PM

Had you tried setting it to factory settings yourself?

Charles Newcomb November 30th, 2011 09:43 PM

No. I never in a million years would have thought I needed to because as far as I know, I never did anything to change them.

Allan Black November 30th, 2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Newcomb (Post 1700617)
Apparently a bent pin wasn't the issues with mine. I just got an email saying they were "restoring factory settings" at no cost to me. I'm not sure what that means because I've never used Magic Lantern or installed any firmware updates.

No cost to you means it's freeee Charles .. cool :))) .. Chris Hurd and the guys are correct! Canon does read our stuff! lol.

Be interested to read how it goes now. Happy Xmas to the guys and gals at Canon xx

Cheers.

Charles Newcomb December 12th, 2011 07:22 PM

Well, the camera arrived safe and sound back home here in the beautiful Rocky Mountains today.

Everything seems to work fine. Canon's worksheet says they replaced a connector CF pin and reset factory defaults... covered by warranty, no charge.

About a 2-week turnaround. Not bad.

I'm a happy camper.