You never hear about an issue until you have it at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 28th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #1
Major Player

You never hear about an issue until you have it

Which is what happened to me with my 6-month-old 5D MKII.

I finished a shoot, and after downloading the footage I put the CF card back in to format it. When I did, I got an error message saying the 5D couldn't format the card. I tried another card: Same thing. Same thing on all my cards, as a matter of fact.

But the cards work fine in the computer (three Hoodman 16GB and one Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 GB).

Back to the camera: I tried taking a shot. "Card needs to be formatted," the error message read. But the camera won't format it.

So I called the store where I bought the camera. "Uh-oh," he said. "The number for Canon service is 1-800-OKCANON."

They emailed a warranty/service request.

I had never heard of this issue. But doing some searching, I found out it's fairly common.

So, $77.00 later (most of which was insurance cost), the camera arrived in Irvine, California today.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by Charles Newcomb; November 28th, 2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: You never hear about an issue until you have it

Uh oh indeed. I'm not up with this, but if it's fairly common why hasn't Canon fixed it with an update .. doesn't appear like they're treating it as a free recall situation, maybe they should.

Hope it works out OK.

Old November 28th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Well, they seemed very helpful and concerned on the phone. Like I said: We'll see.
Old November 28th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Historically, Canon is pretty good about this kind of stuff... the handgrip on the A1 comes to mind.... Apple is even better in my experience. Let us know.

Last edited by Les Wilson; November 29th, 2011 at 05:42 AM.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:44 AM   #5
Major Player

Had the same issue - looked into the CF slot and one of the pins was bent. Ended up being a $200 repair through Canon (plus of course shipping & insurance). Not sure how or why it happened but no problems since, although I never used the card again that it first happened on.
Old November 30th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Apparently a bent pin wasn't the issues with mine. I just got an email saying they were "restoring factory settings" at no cost to me. I'm not sure what that means because I've never used Magic Lantern or installed any firmware updates.
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Had you tried setting it to factory settings yourself?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #8
Major Player

No. I never in a million years would have thought I needed to because as far as I know, I never did anything to change them.
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Newcomb View Post
Apparently a bent pin wasn't the issues with mine. I just got an email saying they were "restoring factory settings" at no cost to me. I'm not sure what that means because I've never used Magic Lantern or installed any firmware updates.
No cost to you means it's freeee Charles .. cool :))) .. Chris Hurd and the guys are correct! Canon does read our stuff! lol.

Be interested to read how it goes now. Happy Xmas to the guys and gals at Canon xx

Cheers.
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #10
Major Player

Well, the camera arrived safe and sound back home here in the beautiful Rocky Mountains today.

Everything seems to work fine. Canon's worksheet says they replaced a connector CF pin and reset factory defaults... covered by warranty, no charge.

About a 2-week turnaround. Not bad.

I'm a happy camper.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD