Soliciting Comments on Startup 5D System - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 26th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: Soliciting Comments on Startup 5D System

The 24-105 on the 5D3 would really be ideal for documentary style filmmaking. It doesn't have super-shallow DOF, but that's hard to manage on the fly anyway. It has IS, which is great for handheld use, especially at 105mm. The range is ideal, going from 24mm (which I see as the maximum width for a natural, non-effects look) to 105, which is a nice medium tele. The downside on the 5D2 is the f/4 maximum aperture. I find that under artificial lighting, f/2 is often where you need to be; however, the 5D3 gives you two more stops of light performance. That moves you from f/2 to f/8, making the f/4 of the 24-105 very practical, indeed.

You mention the Rokinon 85. Note that it's a manual focus only lens. The Sigma 85/1.4 is more expensive, but has AF, which might be important for photos.
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #47
Inner Circle

I recommended the 24-105mm F/4L way back in reply #10. It's a lovely lens & a real bargain when bought as the kit lens with the camera. The extra low light capability of the 5D3 negates the F/4 aperture to a great degree. We shot two weddings last weekend using the 5D3 with 24-105mm F/4L where for such low light interiors we would never dream of using it on a 5D2.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #48
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I find that under artificial lighting, f/2 is often where you need to be; however, the 5D3 gives you two more stops of light performance. That moves you from f/2 to f/8, making the f/4 of the 24-105 very practical, indeed.
Sorry to be picky, but 2 stops down from f/2 puts you at f/4, not f/8. With shutter speed and ISO, doubling/halving the number will equate to a one stop difference. With aperture however, you need to multiply or divide by 1.4 to adjust by one stop. Looking at simple maths (f/1 x 1.4 x 1.4 = f/1.96 (ie f/2) we can see that doubling the f-number (eg f/2 to f/4, f/4 to f/8, etc) is equivelant to 2 stops difference.

So if the 5dmkII requires f/2 in lowlight, then the 5dmkIII's 2-stop advantage means you require f/4. The big kicker with this is that anybody who is used to the 24-70 on the 5dmkII, can now switch to the 24-105 IS on the 5dmkIII, still have a one stop advantage, plus gain IS and an extra 35mm on the long end - so I think this lens will become a whole lot more popular than it has been.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Major DUH! You are 100% correct, sir! I stand red-faced and corrected. :)

So... the two stop difference isn't as awesome as I had mistakenly claimed, but it still makes the 24-105/4L quite viable. It also means that in low light, we can shoot the easier to focus f/4 setting, rather than at the challenging f/2 setting.

Thanks for keeping me honest, John!
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #50
Trustee

No worries, I'm sure you'd pull me into line whenever necessary too!

I do agree with you though that the 24-105 now looks a whole lot more appealing. given the mkIII's better sensitivity and ISO performance. And seeing as it's available at a nice discount as the kit lens, it would be a great first choice for a film school graduate!
John Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD