DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5dMk3 Pixelation - Corrupt Files? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/507247-5dmk3-pixelation-corrupt-files.html)

Paul Hildebrandt April 24th, 2012 10:24 PM

5dMk3 Pixelation - Corrupt Files?

1 Attachment(s)
I've shot a few projects on the MkIII that I rented twice from two different rental outlets, so I know it was not the specific camera. On some shots during certain frames I get some pretty bad video pixelation/distortion. Attachment below.

Any idea what caused this? I'm using the same high speed cards I use on my 7D and 60D with no problems.

Ruben Kremer April 25th, 2012 12:01 AM

Re: 5dMk3 Pixelation - Corrupt Files?

Could be a number of things

- The CF cards you used to shoot with are corrupted, hence the files are damaged - might want to give those CF cards a complete check-up just to be sure!
- Something went wrong when copying the files from the CF to your editset
- You editset's codec is broken, try re-installing it

And it could probably be something completely different - but these are the most likely culprits in my mind. Hope you can fix the problem!

Brad Ballew April 26th, 2012 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For a single frame I had this happen in one of my clips directly from the camera. This is how it was recorded. Hasn't happened before or since.

Benoit Joossen June 17th, 2012 09:57 AM

The failure mode seen on the pictures posted above corresponds to a bitstream defect inside a frame.
Picture is cut in two because QuickTime H.264 decoder stops working when it finds a defect.

The bottom half of the picture corresponds to the previous frame (not refreshed).

We have seen that also on Canon Mk II, and we were able to fix it in a few occasions:
Not a complete failure Blog Archive The Everest of movie repairs

But it's a very complex repair, if ever it's possible.

Advice: Try a different card. Try a different camera with the card. Figure out whether camera or card is causing the problem, and replace it.

-- Benoît

Craig Terott June 17th, 2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Hildebrandt (Post 1729405)
I've shot a few projects on the MkIII that I rented twice from two different rental outlets, so I know it was not the specific camera. On some shots during certain frames I get some pretty bad video pixelation/distortion. Attachment below.

Any idea what caused this? I'm using the same high speed cards I use on my 7D and 60D with no problems.

I had the same thing happen. Then I remembered how busy I was with other programs (taxing my computer/drive) during the file transfers. So I imported the files a second time, this time not using the computer for other things and making the file transfer the only task. Everything then transferred fine.

Paul Hildebrandt June 18th, 2012 07:41 PM

I've had this problem several times now, all with the same cards and also showing up on my 7D now. I've got a high profile shoot coming up this weekend and I need to make sure I have good data. Is there anyway to test the CF cards to make sure they are good? Thanks.

Craig Terott June 21st, 2012 05:07 PM

If the file plays back like that in-camera ...eeek. I wouldn't use that card again. Bad CF cards have destroyed so many shots I can't count them all, and no longer use them.

Of course there are memory types of errors but I think CF card's reliability problem is likely related to it's massive 50 pin design which means there's a lot that can go wrong on the device side as well. The SD card is a much more reliable design - that is not opinion, it's a fact.

I talked to more than one person over at Sandisk and they had no answer for my question about being able to test a CF card. I asked because like you, I thought it would practical to load a card and run some sort of scan on it, even if it was a lengthy test, it would be awesomely reassuring. Maybe they are afraid of all the cards that would end up in there return department?

Paul Hildebrandt June 22nd, 2012 09:19 AM

Yeah, my problem is I don't know which card it is!