5dMk3 Pixelation - Corrupt Files? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 24th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

5dMk3 Pixelation - Corrupt Files?

I've shot a few projects on the MkIII that I rented twice from two different rental outlets, so I know it was not the specific camera. On some shots during certain frames I get some pretty bad video pixelation/distortion. Attachment below.

Any idea what caused this? I'm using the same high speed cards I use on my 7D and 60D with no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
5dMk3 Pixelation - Corrupt Files?-398c0972.mpg.still001.jpg  
Paul Hildebrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 5dMk3 Pixelation - Corrupt Files?

Could be a number of things

- The CF cards you used to shoot with are corrupted, hence the files are damaged - might want to give those CF cards a complete check-up just to be sure!
- Something went wrong when copying the files from the CF to your editset
- You editset's codec is broken, try re-installing it

And it could probably be something completely different - but these are the most likely culprits in my mind. Hope you can fix the problem!
Ruben Kremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

For a single frame I had this happen in one of my clips directly from the camera. This is how it was recorded. Hasn't happened before or since.
Attached Thumbnails
5dMk3 Pixelation - Corrupt Files?-video-distortion-5d-mk-iii.jpg  
Brad Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #4
New Boot

The failure mode seen on the pictures posted above corresponds to a bitstream defect inside a frame.
Picture is cut in two because QuickTime H.264 decoder stops working when it finds a defect.

The bottom half of the picture corresponds to the previous frame (not refreshed).

We have seen that also on Canon Mk II, and we were able to fix it in a few occasions:
Not a complete failure Blog Archive The Everest of movie repairs

But it's a very complex repair, if ever it's possible.

Advice: Try a different card. Try a different camera with the card. Figure out whether camera or card is causing the problem, and replace it.

-- Benoît
Benoit Joossen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hildebrandt View Post
I've shot a few projects on the MkIII that I rented twice from two different rental outlets, so I know it was not the specific camera. On some shots during certain frames I get some pretty bad video pixelation/distortion. Attachment below.

Any idea what caused this? I'm using the same high speed cards I use on my 7D and 60D with no problems.
I had the same thing happen. Then I remembered how busy I was with other programs (taxing my computer/drive) during the file transfers. So I imported the files a second time, this time not using the computer for other things and making the file transfer the only task. Everything then transferred fine.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've had this problem several times now, all with the same cards and also showing up on my 7D now. I've got a high profile shoot coming up this weekend and I need to make sure I have good data. Is there anyway to test the CF cards to make sure they are good? Thanks.
Paul Hildebrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:07 PM   #7
Major Player

If the file plays back like that in-camera ...eeek. I wouldn't use that card again. Bad CF cards have destroyed so many shots I can't count them all, and no longer use them.

Of course there are memory types of errors but I think CF card's reliability problem is likely related to it's massive 50 pin design which means there's a lot that can go wrong on the device side as well. The SD card is a much more reliable design - that is not opinion, it's a fact.

I talked to more than one person over at Sandisk and they had no answer for my question about being able to test a CF card. I asked because like you, I thought it would practical to load a card and run some sort of scan on it, even if it was a lengthy test, it would be awesomely reassuring. Maybe they are afraid of all the cards that would end up in there return department?
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:19 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Yeah, my problem is I don't know which card it is!
Paul Hildebrandt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD