Best way to remove dust spot on sensor in post at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 18th, 2012, 07:23 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Best way to remove dust spot on sensor in post

I was very pleased with some Steadicam footage that I shot at a wedding the other day using my 5D2. Sadly when I came to review the clips there was a dust spot on the sensor (now removed) visible for many of the shots. There are definitely some shots that I need to use but a grey mark on a white bridal gown is not a good look so does anyone have suggestions to how I might set about fixing this in post? I need the equivalent of the Photoshop/Lightroom healing brush. Ideally this would be in Premiere Pro but if there is some plugin or workflow for FCP7 or FCPX then I have access to those too.

This is the first time in years that I have had an issue with crap on the sensor. It was the bane of my life when I first got the 5D2 over three years ago & I have all the tools & materials for cleaning the sensor (Visible Dust brushes, loupe etc) but since I got more obsessional about hygiene when changing lenses I cannot recall when I last had a clip spoiled.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Best way to remove dust spot on sensor in post

I have Boris Continuum Complete and it has a pixel fixer that works great for those problems. It is show to work for hot pixels but also works for dust spots.

It is available for all the major edit systems.

Old June 18th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Nigel,

One thing I have done successfully in the past for something like this is to make a copy of each affected clip and lay it above the main track. Then I crop it to a tiny spot, maybe only 5-10 pixels square or round and blur the edges of this matte. The bit I crop to would be immediately next to the spot you want to hide (i.e. so it is similar in tone, colour, exposure, texture, etc throughout the clip to what that bad spot should look like).

Then all I do is slightly reposition the upper clip so the "good" spot overlays the "bad" spot that you want to hide.

It may take a bit of playing around to get it right. Pretty fast to do in most NLEs I've tried it on. There are some pitfalls... but that depends on how much changes in each particular shot (especially if hard edges move across the "bad" spot position in the scene). However, the fault that occurs as that happens can be hidden by further masking work pretty easily and quickly once you know how. It's not a perfect method but it is free to try and works well for simple scenes. Maybe this might work for you?
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:55 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I realised that I already have some FCP7 plugins similar to the Boris stuff that will do the job. In particular Plugins for Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express by CHV-electronics & Plugins for Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express by CHV-electronics

I also found a couple of other tutorials involving exporting the clip as a series of images into Photoshop or similar. As the dust spot is in the same place on every frame it is apparently relatively easy to use one of the fix-up tools e.g. content aware healing brush & record a set of actions on the first frame & then apply that same sequence to every frame. I also found a guy who said he found it very relaxing just to go through each frame by hand applying the fix!

So I shall have plenty of different options to try.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:20 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Tip, don't try that last idea first! ;-)
Old June 21st, 2012, 03:49 AM   #6
Major Player

this free pixel mask plugin for FCP works well:

AJW?s Filters | FinalCutters
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD