Iris noise in Video mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 4th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Major Player

Iris noise in Video mode

I picked up a MK3 last week and as I was getting it ready for doing some video work I've noticed that when you adjust the iris while in the video mode the iris makes a clicking noise. However, when you adjust the iris during the photo setting it's completely silent. I haven't noticed anything in the settings that addresses this and I'm wondering if I missed something or if this is something that you have to live with when shooting video? It would be very distracting to have the clicking noise in the video during times when you have to adjust the iris on the fly.
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Iris noise in Video mode

It's because while you do adjust the aperture setting in the photo mode, the aperture itself stays wide open until you press the shutter.

Try hitting DOF preview button and you'll see that it'll make the same clicking noise as in video mode as it will physically close the aperture to the setting you selected.
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Major Player

That explains why it would happen. Is there no way to eliminate that noise?
Old February 4th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ben, are you concerned about recording noise while adjusting the iris? That part of the video likely wouldn't be very usable anyway since the iris will "jump" in 1/3 stop increments. You won't be able to get a smooth exposure transition while recording. Plus, what you hear is mechanical sound of the iris moving not a digital fake, so it's not something you can turn off... like the shutter sound on some cameras.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Ok. That answered my questions. Thanks. I'm gathering this information so I know what to expect when using this type of camera. I know it has a lot of strengths but I also need to know it's weaknesses and limitations so that I can adjust my shot style to fit the tool.
Old February 4th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Ben,
I have a really nice HM700, great for video work, just in case you need it!
O|O
\--/
Old February 4th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Major Player

Lol. Nice one Don! I definitely miss the 700 and especially when the new system has limitations. But I'll get through it and make it work. And if I don't, then you'll be hearing from me :-)
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Anytime my friend. I slept with it the other night! Not as warm as my wife but hell I've been with her for 44+ years so I figured she wouldn't mind the camera in bed with me! lol!
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #9
Major Player

Lololololol Don

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD